Home Career & Education

Video Game Company Discipline Process

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
So - Question to folks in Game Companies

What (if any) discipline process does your company have?
I have a background in retail and there was a clear discipline process for things like being late, being ill too much, breaking health and safety, etc.
Since the Video Game industry has slightly different requirements then retail (obvs) I was wondering what companies do when it comes to dealing with troublesome members of staff? 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    When they only bring you into a room and ask you to close a door behind you, then it's time to tense up
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    It's not anything nearly as regimented as you'd find in retail. If you do something wrong, either a lead or HR will talk with you about it. If you improve/don't repeat the mistake everything will be fine. If you don't, things might escalate to formal written warnings/improvement plans and eventually termination, or you might just be quietly put at the top of the list to be let go during the next time their are layoffs.

Of course if you do something really egregious it's possible to get immediately fired, but I've never seen that happen firsthand.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    They have to follow the same rules as any other business in the country they operate in.