[Substance Designer] Mossy rough red cliff

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Midojr polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone! 

I finally finished this material I've been working on. :smiley:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0XdYg5

I went for a hike a couple of years ago in the Fréjus, South of France, and had the chance to look closely at the Massif de l'Estérel. Looking back at the photos I was inspired by some of the formations and especially the cliff's color. I wanted to replicate them in Substance Designer and create a procedural material. The material has a full control of number of rocks used, the cracks, the moss, lichen and some plants. It has a lot of variations in terms Height Map. I'm quite happy with the final result. It's really rough and I liked the final noise I got from it. 

It's been a while since I've done a rock study and the graph ended up being pretty messy but somehow still really optimized. :)
Fully procedural, 100% Substance Designer, 4K resolution, lots of variations and options to customize from: Number of rocks and variations along with height adjustment, moss and lichen destribution with colors, cracks generation and overall color for each generator. 

Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 3 and some retouches were done in Photoshop. 
It'll be used in a scene about Tintin's island that I'll be working on soon. :)

Let me know what you think, also don't hesitate to see full res images on my Artstation! :)

Cheers!

Replies

• hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Looks really great! I think maybe you could make cracks a little bit more subtle, because some of them are a bit too wide for my taste. Brilliant job nonetheless!
  • Midojr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Midojr polycounter lvl 5
    hublus said:
    Looks really great! I think maybe you could make cracks a little bit more subtle, because some of them are a bit too wide for my taste. Brilliant job nonetheless!
    I understand about the cracks! :) I wanted to try and see how the crack generator I created worked and found it interesting. The width can be controlled with it. :) 
    Thanks!