Home Technical Talk

How this model looks so smooth despite its low count tris?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jimmito polycounter lvl 5
Hi Polycount, I'm really surprised by this artwork of Stefan Engdahl on artstation, but I have some questions concerning this brilliant model, How did he use this low poly model (24k tris) to create this awesome and smooth weapon, I think the holes should appear low poly not smooth like that, also the topology of the barrel is not the best but it looks so great and there are no issues concerning the shaders.. sorry for my bad English!
Artstation artwork: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQ0NR4

Replies

• braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    braintrain polycounter lvl 7
    Hi there! I can´t give you a definite answer. I think the cylinder which makes up the barrel and the holes has actually a fairly high polycount. Also the normal map helps hiding the jagged corners when you look at the barrel at an angle.
    This video shows how normal maps can be improved on cylinder like shapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuK6xyi-qY
    Maybe that can help you
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    24k is not so low, not low at all! I would bet half is shared between the magazine and barrel shroud.
  • FappaR
    Offline / Send Message
    FappaR polycounter lvl 9
    I made it for the game "H3VR" so all parts ever visible trough the camera when rotating the gun, getting close etc needed to be visible, i could've made it much lower if it was for a "regular" game anyhow as Ben mentioned most of the poly budget is spent on the heat shroud. There is no magic to it just high-poly baked down to a low-poly, That's it.
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    the wireframe is right there to see.

just take a small part of it, like the barrel, and copy what you see. Then do your baking and tweak things until you get a similar result.
  • Jimmito
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmito polycounter lvl 5
    FappaR said:
    I made it for the game "H3VR" so all parts ever visible trough the camera when rotating the gun, getting close etc needed to be visible, i could've made it much lower if it was for a "regular" game anyhow as Ben mentioned most of the poly budget is spent on the heat shroud. There is no magic to it just high-poly baked down to a low-poly, That's it.
    Hello Stefan, Thank you for sharing your experience. May I know what was your workflow of this model, Did you create the low poly first or the high poly and which software did you use to create the high poly model?
  • FappaR
    Offline / Send Message
    FappaR polycounter lvl 9
    Jimmito said:
    Hello Stefan, Thank you for sharing your experience. May I know what was your workflow of this model, Did you create the low poly first or the high poly and which software did you use to create the high poly model?
    Now days I usually do the boolean+zbrush method for high-poly and along side that method I get a low-poly "base" to work from when creating the low-poly.

Super short rundown of high & low-poly:
    High-poly: Blockout to get general shape and scale of things > Start adding details etc (a lot of boolean is used) > Copy what you got just to makes sure you have the "Base" for when making lowpoly > load it in Zbrush to create the high-poly mesh (Read more on that by this post by Ben Bolton)
    Low-poly: Use the mesh BEFORE going trough Zbrush (the one we copied before) and clean it up/add bevels/Chamfers wherever it's needed etc until you got a nice low-poly, UV that thing. 

The software's I use are:
    Maya - Modeling & UV
    ZBrush - Making the high-poly (If it's a Simple shape I will make it with good 'ol sub-d modeling in Maya)
    Marmoset - Baking
    Substance Painter - Texturing

Sorry if it's unclear or whatnot I'm pretty tired when writing this :smile:
  • scgstudio
    Offline / Send Message
    scgstudio polycounter lvl 5
    similar effect without normal map usage. Take a look at 2:00