Home Career & Education

What to put on resume with no experience as an artist?

I'm interested in applying for concept artist positions, but have no experience and never attended art school so I'm not sure what to put on my resume. I have an unrelated business degree and have worked office and fast food jobs. Does it look bad to include that information on the resume in any way? How should I format the resume if there's no work experience?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It doesn't look bad necessarily.

Put work experience above degree.

I'd remove the fast food jobs if you can help it.

You format the resume as best as you can and as usual.  Resume is really meant to only survive the HR's eyes and quick appraisal.

Your real judgement comes with your portfolio.  Do you have one?

• redbluegreen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I have a portfolio.  Do you think it would make sense to format the resume with the headers; Objective, Highlights of Qualifications, and Additional Information?  Something like this:

OBJECTIVE
    - something along the lines of seeking first concept artist job

HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS (should I use this phrase or change the header to 'SKILLS')
    -list software I use
    -understanding of fundamentals, design, light, colour, etc....

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION 
    -office job
    -degree

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you worked on ANY projects as a concept artist up till now?

What does your portfolio look like?
  • redbluegreen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I haven't worked on any projects.  My portfolio consists of environments pieces. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Listing the qualifications you did seems odd just  because I undeerstand it as something you'd already know as  a  concept artist, or something that would be experssed in the portfolio already.  It should be mostly  software knowledge: After Effects, Photoshop, etc.

1) Objective
    2) Work Experience
    3) Software Knowledge
    4) Education

Don't sweat too much; once again, the resume is just  a formality.  Just make it easy to read through quickly and processed by whatever software HR or headhunters use to find people.
  • redbluegreen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, trying not to sweat it, haha.  One more thing, should I include soft skills like good team player, good work ethic, communication skills?  And if so, where would be best to incorporate it?  
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't say so.  That just describes default expectations.  Any employee should hypothetically be that.
  • redbluegreen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it!