Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 2019 cameras fixed?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ISUther polycounter lvl 6
Hello, 

So how is new Zbrush. 
Question is cameras and how the system works now. 
In past zbrush main problem for me was that it did not have real world camera and lacking many basic camera parameters. 
As you may know in Zbrush when you have model loaded and sekect from TOP menubar option named "Draw" you can see there thing named as "Dynamic Persp" (Persp stands for perspective)
There is also slider next to it named as "Angle of View" and by default it is 50
Now when you change that slider model you see in your Scene view changes dramatically. 

All is fine when you sculpt in zbrush. Yopu make your model look like you want it to look. And it is represented to you in Scene view. 
Problem starts when you export that same model out as OBJ and load it in to another 3D program (Modo, Blender, 3Dmax, Houdini, Maya etc)
I for example use Modo and Houdini. 
That same model looks WAY different in any of those aplications then it does in Zbruhs. That is due camera and perspective. 
And it is pain in ... to make model look same as it was in zbrush. That is due the fact that Zbrush has (had?) fake cameras and view. View in zbrush seems to be distorted compared to any other 3d program. I have NO problem modeling for example in Maya and sending that model as OBJ file in to Modo or Houdini. Model looks same. But not with zbrush. 
My question is: Is it fixed now with new zbrush?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    yeah at first glance it seems to be. All the normal dials oyu would expect are there now. FOV, focal length, plus you can export the camera to other apps and it worked for me in maya 2018.

also a little unrelated but you can now lock the camera. this way if you are making fast strokes over a thin object you don't got to fuss with the camera flipping around. Very nice.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, 2019 has the 'universal camera'. It will match FOV/focal length in Maya/Max/UE4/whatever.