Home Adobe Substance

How would you make these stones in Designer???

node
Offline / Send Message
baccene node
what techniques would you use to create the details in the stone ground of this picture? There's a concrete grout, but the stone areas are very different from each other. Some stone areas have multiple stones. All the stones have varying shapes and wear to them as well. If you look at the area to the right of the chairs, for instance, that area has 3 stones within it's "stone" area... So I'm just trying to pick your brains about this. 

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Designer is pretty bad at this sort of thing but a couple of thoughts spring to mind... 

If you start with a tile random using  a small number of tiles you could use that to mask other pattern generators together.  Combine that with vector displacement and you might get close to what you want. 

Alternatively the 3d worley noise set to minkowski might give you some good shapes to start working with - you can distort the position map fed into those to create wobbly patterns and if you are prepared to break it open you can mess with the random placement to an extent too. 

My instincts say a general solution is probably beyond the scope of designer,  it might be possible to build something limited in the pixel processor but I'd have to dig into it to work out what to do. 
  • baccene
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    baccene node
    Thanks for the response. What would you do outside of designer then? Since you think it would be better outside of designer. 
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    I think I saw something similar in ArtStation where he created the pattern mask using Adobe Illustrator. From there, you can use the Flood Fill technique.