Home Quixel Megascans

Mixer PBR materials not working with Unity.

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pixelpatron polycounter
Hello, been trying to figure out some issues I'm having with Mixer/Unity and was wondering if anyone else ran into it or if they know of a fix/solution. 

The main issue I'm having is that the displacement(Height) map doesn't appear to do anything when I put it onto the shader in Unity. 

Take a look at this video to see what my issue is. (this is using the "metalness" default PBR material, probe placed, and skydome loaded from substance painter).

So the material mostly looks correct minus the height, it appears to be an issue with the tessellation (or lack there of). Found another shader on-line that allows tessellation (Direct X11 shader), yet it doesn't display the material correctly, nor does it do anywhere close to the job mixer does in terms of the displacement. (they just using crazy density in mixer?)

So what do you guys think? I could create a low poly mesh for the displacement and apply the material to that I guess....but was wanting to try and figure this out.

Thanks for taking a look. 

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Nobody?! Halp. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Pictures might help. 

Also what is mixer? 
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    There are two video links in my original post. 
  • ZaqSchlanger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZaqSchlanger polycounter lvl 8
    Mixer uses higher tessellation factor and tessellation than you are using. You will need a higher density mesh and to up your tessellation number to get a similar result. 
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    You'd also have more luck getting responses if you posted this in the Quixel section of the forum and not in the Allegorithmic Substance portion of the forum. 
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Oops, my bad. duh. Thanks Zach.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I moved this to the Quixel sub-forum for you.

Just my personal opinion here, what you're trying to do isn't practical in an actual game engine. Sure you can crank the tessellation crazy high for a portfolio render, but this isn't how this type of asset would be constructed for use in game. Typically, you would model something like this out with standard polygon modeling techniques, as it will be much more efficient to render.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter

Just my personal opinion here, what you're trying to do isn't practical in an actual game engine. Sure you can crank the tessellation crazy high for a portfolio render, but this isn't how this type of asset would be constructed for use in game. Typically, you would model something like this out with standard polygon modeling techniques, as it will be much more efficient to render.
    My thought process was that you'd be able to take the final model/material out of quixel mixer (once they offer obj export of meshes), and then you could then take into something like zbrush to decimate down for a low poly mesh(s) say you make 4 or 5 of these that tile...and then use them to throw out onto the horizon in various configurations. Or you could use the heightmap and just recreate in zbrush. (I actually just tested it out using this workflow to re-create my heightmap in zbrush). 

So distant terrain, one PBR material and a distant poly mesh around 4-5000 tris. Doesn't seem unreasonable. 

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter

Around 350 tris. One 2048 material. Completely practical I would imagine. This workflow would allow for mask deformation on the original high pulled from world machine/world creator; you could mask out detail areas you wanted to keep higher..say the peaks of the mountain tops.