Home Career & Education

why does it seem like the AAA studios are constantly recruiting?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
via artstation or gamesindustry.biz or other sites I follow the various job recruitment posts for CG games related stuff and it seems like the studios in my region ('the UK') are constantly recuriting?

the hell is going on?

do they take on staff on a 6 month basis then dispose of them or do staff run away, are they just temporary?

or are CG industry staff the source of the secret yet much prized food source 'Soylent Green?'

:)

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
      The industry is generally growing and as a result studios can afford to grow. 

• oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
      The industry is generally growing and as a result studios can afford to grow. 

yeah but there are some studios I noticed they will have a recruitment posting for the same position at the same location 'senior environment artist' etc, several times in a year. I can only assume something sinister.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    A lot of the postings are for PR (public relations) Especially for larger studios since it looks good.
    Not that the actual jobs don't exist, well some of them exist, you'd need to apply and find out.
    It is a great deal better to contact a recruiter directly after your portfolio is up to standard, that way you avoid dealing with all this bs.
    Networking in the industry can also help expedite the process.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Most companies are always open to hire top of the top artists and are always on the look, they might fill a position just to fill it but they never really stop looking unless there is a hiring stop, so at least from my experience with ads like this is that they are fishing for talent, doesn't necessarily mean they are in urgent need of someone at the moment.
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most companies are always open to hire top of the top artists and are always on the look, they might fill a position just to fill it but they never really stop looking unless there is a hiring stop, so at least from my experience with ads like this is that they are fishing for talent, doesn't necessarily mean they are in urgent need of someone at the moment.
    i see.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    People are always leaving studios. Maybe their partner needs to move. Maybe they want to start a family, so they want to move somewhere where the cost of living is lower. Maybe they're tired of working on the same product line, and want to do something different. Maybe another studio offered them more money. Even if a studio is doing great, you can expect a turnover of at least ten percent or so. At a two hundred person studio, that's twenty people leaving a year, and thus twenty roles to fill.

On top of that, yes, it's pretty common to hire contract workers for a project, than not extend their contract once the project is done. Some studios are more guilty of this than others, but it definitely happens.