Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Photogrammetry Beginner

Hey! I'm a student and doing a school project over photogrammetry and I'm using a fire alarm! I'll be updating it as I go. Please give me critiques and advice as I go :)! Thank you!

Replies

• CholyArt
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    How are you going to use Photogrammetry?
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    @Brian "Panda" Choi It's new scanning tech that creates low poly and auto retopos!

Jokes aside, it looks like your whole class was misinformed on what photogrammetry actually is. 

• CholyArt
    We're doing it by hand :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not photogrammetry. :(

Your class is most likely being taught by a terrible teacher, or something else is up.

Welcome to Polycount though; you're potentially going to learn a lot better here.

Tell this to the other students if you can: PC will more likely respond to threads if ya'll keep posting WIPs up.  Don't be discouraged if no one responds; just keeping cracking away at the models, and the feedback will come :)
  • CholyArt
    Thanks for your comment!
  • Aerial_Knight
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    That's not photogrammetry. :(

Your class is most likely being taught by a terrible teacher, or something else is up.

Welcome to Polycount though; you're potentially going to learn a lot better here.

Tell this to the other students if you can: PC will more likely respond to threads if ya'll keep posting WIPs up.  Don't be discouraged if no one responds; just keeping cracking away at the models, and the feedback will come :)

Hi Brian this is Neil I think we've met before. Im also the teacher that gave her this assignment. as I do understand a appreciate your feedback to one of my students. We have a rule in my class called "Don't be a dick" I send all my students to polycount to get other viewpoints other than my own and I rarely interfere but you need to be more understanding I do look at these comments.

Feedback is welcome, being an asshole is not. this is how I teach an intro to photogrammetry because it they can do it the hard way and take photos and make a texture out of them then it will be very easy for them to put in in a program and let the computer do it for them.  
  • Malik_J5
    Offline / Send Message
    Malik_J5 polycounter lvl 6
    I say to round out the edges to match the fire alarm. Do you have a limit to polygons?
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    May I ask what school that is?...
  • CholyArt
    Malik_J5 said:
    I say to round out the edges to match the fire alarm. Do you have a limit to polygons?
    Thanks for the feedback! No, just have to keep the poly limit low!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Well, in defense of Brian, it was odd having these threads called "photogrammetry" where someone is just modeling something.  I think he made an assumption which may not have been the greatest but I don't really think he was being a "dick" as you have stated.  It's misleading for us on PC to give feedback when we expect to see a photogrammetry example and all we see is some basic low poly modeling.  In any case, hopefully that clears the air and your students can move on to actual photogrammetry soon if that's what the class is geared to teach.  P.S. Aerial Knight, your portfolio is down.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Offline / Send Message
    Malik_J5 said:
    Her goal was just to keep it low ploy and clean
  • Aerial_Knight
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    Well, in defense of Brian, it was odd having these threads called "photogrammetry" where someone is just modeling something.  I think he made an assumption which may not have been the greatest but I don't really think he was being a "dick" as you have stated.  It's misleading for us on PC to give feedback when we expect to see a photogrammetry example and all we see is some basic low poly modeling.  In any case, hopefully that clears the air and your students can move on to actual photogrammetry soon if that's what the class is geared to teach.  P.S. Aerial Knight, your portfolio is down.
    photogrammetry was the subject of the class today and the task is more about the texture part of it than the modeling part of it because they are still learning how to texture. But this isnt the first time he has said something like this. 
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    @Aerial_Knight , we don't have to worry about people being dicks or not, this is an issue of miscommunication. You are not using the word "photogrammetry" correctly. It is a specific technical process (google it) and you are not teaching that process. This will cause confusion for your students, and it will make you look like less of a professional when they find out your were not using accurate terminology.

• Aerial_Knight
    Offline / Send Message
    @Aerial_Knight , we don't have to worry about people being dicks or not, this is an issue of miscommunication. You are not using the word "photogrammetry" correctly. It is a specific technical process (google it) and you are not teaching that process. This will cause confusion for your students, and it will make you look like less of a professional when they find out your were not using accurate terminology.

we went over if fully in our 3 hour class this is just the homework. they do understand so ether leave some helpful feedback to help her with her model or dont. 
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    But you do understand that you are misusing the term, right? That's the important thing. Come on, you won't save face by fighting against everybody and calling them dicks. Just because you are the teacher doesn't mean anybody expects you to be perfect. It's not a big deal to use the wrong word. We just want to make sure there isn't confusion for the students, which I'm sure is the reason you sent them here in the first place. So they could get outside feedback, double check what they are learning, and use the power of a community to fact check each other and get the best possible education, right?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER
    I don't think we should die on this hill.
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    haha. well, i just didn't want the teacher to leave here feeling like they were shamed or couldn't come back or some shit like that. like i said, they made a simple mistake, now it's cleared up -- no shame. the community did exactly what it is supposed to do and thus it was a really smart thing for the teacher to send the students here.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey @CholyArt Welcome to Polycount :) Check out the area I circled in blue. You can see from your reference, the extruded area with the keyhole are actually made of the same face

So, in that area, your low poly model should probably look like this;