Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Getting into sculpting - critique appreciated

Hi guys!

New guy here, I got into sculpting about a month ago when I sculpted that purple-ish monstrosity here. I was messing around in Blender and decided to just sculpt something. I liked the overall workflow when sculpting, and I kept doing that pretty much every day.  I did some traditional drawing before, so I understand some basic principles when it comes to anatomy and the like, but haven't touched that in a long time.

Fast forward to here, and I think this new bust is pretty much presentable. So, what do you guys think? How can I improve? I would greatly appreciate critique because just showing it to my friends ain't gonna cut it. :D

Replies

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11

Rotate and bring the jaw back, bring the top lip out slightly, adjust the tip of nose down slightly. Here's a quick example on the right.

Hope it helps~~~~

Keep it up, hope to see updates and improvements :)
  • WhiskeyGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you mean. It does help, thanks a lot! Updates and (hopefully) improvements are gonna' be comin' soon. :D
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I understand your excitement, but if you're serious about sculpting anatomy then you should just concentrate on that. Forget about texturing and hair and clothing, and focus solely on anatomy. I won't point out all the anatomically inaccurate areas on your sculpt, you should research that yourself and really train your eye to see the forms. The forms are key here. Good that you have trad drawing knowledge but that 3rd dimension changes everything:) Everything comes from the shape and bony landmarks of the skull. Study the skull. Even download a free 3d scan and study that in 3d(much better than 2d ref images)

Just like drawing, sculpting is all about controlling the forms under shadow and light. 

From a technical point of view work with low res geo to derive the primary forms. Too many beginners attempt sculpting on too dense a mesh and just end up with a blobby mess.

Good luck. It gets a lot more intuitive once you begin to understand anatomy. 
  • WhiskeyGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input and tips! I am currently working on getting my anatomy on point, and I'll post some updates soon enough. ^^
  • WhiskeyGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here's a late update, but I really am a bit of a mess when it comes to organizing my own time. Anywhoo, I've been practicing as much as I could in the past few weeks. This is my latest work. I really liked the way it was going, so I added some additional details and accessories. I started really low with a sphere with simple shapes and worked my way up, and I also got my hands on some 3d scans to use as a reference, gathered additional references that I used, etc.

I struggled a lot when it came to make the overall features more feminine - looking at it now, I still see quite a few things I could have done better. I'll abstain from grand reveals in the future, and post updates regularly as I work. 

And there it is. As before, critique is wholeheartedly welcome.

I made this design for the pendant as well, I made a few changes in the end.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Can you show the sculpt without the polypaint?
  • WhiskeyGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, no problem.