Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Unity export settings for Mixer?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pixelpatron polycounter
Created my mix.

Yeah! Looking decent in megascans/mixer. The main difference being the displacement (height) map.

Yet when I get it into Unity it doesn't look right, (I have a reflection probe) and using the default material. 

I have the gloss map in the alpha of the diffuse (Is the gloss map correct to be placed here?)
I have my displacement (Height?) set to "12" on the 0-1 range (cm)
I have my roughness in the alpha of the metalness 

Issues I'm seeing, I think the material looks correct (although I'd love it if someone could confirm I've setup the textures correctly). Yet the biggest issue appears to be the displacement (height) map. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as what is shown in Mixer. I'm at a loss. Is it an output setting? Something not turned on on Unity, or quality setting? is the (cm) range incorrect? it only looks like I'm getting normal information. 

The AO seemed to come out a little weird too (I understand it's still in Beta, but there is hardly any pixel information on the AO!?)
After a few tweaks I was able to generate an AO (using this tutorial) that I believe renders better than what is offered from mixer. 

It also appears I'm not getting any anti-aliasing out of Unity, even though I've got it set to high/ultra quality and the post process rendering stack doesn't appear to be working anymore? How do go about adding bloom/DOF/SSAO and the like to the camera? 

Thanks to anyone who can help. 

Cheers.

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Oh ya I forgot to mention I created a skybox cube map from substance and have it plugged into main scene lighting.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hi!

Try adjusting the slider for the displacement. It looks like it's currently set to nothing, or minimal values. Roughness values are going to come from the alpha of the albedo with your current setup, so ensure that you've placed the roughness map there and reload it. Mixer's AO depends on a variety of factors, I can't really comment on its accuracy unless I were to see the textures you were creating with it in the Mixer. Unity specific questions for AA and such should probably be directed toward a Unity group, or perhaps in Technical Talk here on the forum as I cannot provide technical assistance with Unity's products.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Hi!

Try adjusting the slider for the displacement. It looks like it's currently set to nothing, or minimal values. Roughness values are going to come from the alpha of the albedo with your current setup, so ensure that you've placed the roughness map there and reload it. Mixer's AO depends on a variety of factors, I can't really comment on its accuracy unless I were to see the textures you were creating with it in the Mixer. Unity specific questions for AA and such should probably be directed toward a Unity group, or perhaps in Technical Talk here on the forum as I cannot provide technical assistance with Unity's products.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Thanks for the assistance Synaesthesia,

Maybe this video will better demonstrate my issue. Do height/displacement maps not actually deform the mesh in Unity? I've tried on both dense/simple meshes. Meaning, what you see in Mixer may never align with what you'd get in Unity? (remains flat in Unity). I also tried removing the displacement map and exporting it with defaults (instead of linear).

Thanks.

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Okay so I finally got something that kinda works. Yet now I have different issues.....ugh.

So turns out there is no tessellation on by default for the "metalness" material in Unity? Who knew? How to turn it on!? Heck if I know. Google wasn't much help either. Anyone have any ideas? (looking at my last video above "no_height").

Take a peek at this!!! (this is what happens when using the DX11 Tessellation Displacement shaders). So the height is now somewhat correct, yet now it appears that the PBR functions don't translate. The windows do not show the same reflections, and generally the shader just looks wrong compared to what was happening with Mixer. The nice edges of my window frames I'm able to get out of Mixer by "softening" the height map doesn't translate to the displacement; or the algorithm used for DX11 is not to the quality or behavior of what is offered in mixer (not that I'm happy with how it does the tessellation in DX11; it works. but the output is gross).

Will Quixel offer some sort of shader pack that will be compatible with mixes that we can install with Unity? Right now I'm only getting half way there. Stuff looks GREAT in Mixer, and the tool is super fun to use and I could see great potential. Yet if I can't get it to look even remotely close once it's output into an fairly industry standard engine. I don't see the point in continuing to learn/use it. What to do? I understand it's in "Beta" but this seems like a different issue. (not meaning to sound jerkish here, slightly frustrated is all).

Synaesthesia you are my only hope. (Have you or your team gotten successful maps out of mixer into Unity without IQ loss? Or you guys haven't gotten that far yet?) I see your materials look great in toolbag based on youtube videos (subway tiles example), but that isn't really real-time game engine.

Thanks for assistance.

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You'd probably need to check with a Unity-dedicated forum for assistance with displacement in-engine. The only other thing I could think of offhand would be whether or not you're using the HD shader setup. You may also want to ensure that you've set each texture to tile at the same ratio (e.g. albedo x4, displacement x4, etc). I can't comment on any plans for "shader packs" publicly at the moment. In regards to getting assets to look good in-engine, I was responsible for setting up the latest plant packs we put up on Unity's marketplace and didn't run into the issues you're encountering here. I'm honestly not sure what's happening as I doubt it's texture-specific, it may simply just be an issue of how you've set up your materials.

I would definitely recommend looking at a Unity support forum for this as my expertise is largely in Unreal Engine 4. Textures should be mostly agnostic, especially as far as displacement is concerned, so what I'm thinking is that your shader setup is just missing a checkbox or a slider somewhere.