Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marmoset environment diorama: The Course Start - Simon Stalenhag

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
panicpancho polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys! I started playing Tales from the Loop with my friends (IS AMAZING) and I wanted to do a small environment diorama based on a concept art I love by Simon Stalenhag. I want to share some of my progress, hopefully, get all the feedback that I can from all of you and finish this piece :).  This is the original concept:  

This is how it is looking so far:

I did some modifications to the textures of the concept and added some additional elements that I think would complement the diorama, I also changed the water of the concept to ice just because I don't know how to make water on marmoset and blend it with the other textures.

The next step I will take on this diorama is to add some foliage, fog, smoke and the foreground cable of the original concept.

Thank you for reading this and thanks in advance for any feedback you want to give me :)

Replies

• panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update! I started working on the environment making some test with lightning and textures, this is how it is looking so far
  • gazman162
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gazman162 polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking cool so far!  The trees in the concept look closer to saplings, whereas the ones in your environment look more like fully grown versions. The scale difference in these two mean that your hard surface info is looking massive in comparison to the concept, where the piece is probably about the size of a full grown adult. If you're going for the fully grown counterpart you may need to look at making them much larger to match the trees age. If you are trying to get the sapling look from the concept then your trees need some tweaks to match the look better. Branches are arcing upwards instead and the needles are closer to the branches in the adolescent versions of the trees. As well as playing with the scale as well. :)

It's cool stuff so far just losing some of the original scale from the concept!

Image result for young christmas trees 
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gazman162 said:
    This is looking cool so far!  The trees in the concept look closer to saplings, whereas the ones in your environment look more like fully grown versions. The scale difference in these two mean that your hard surface info is looking massive in comparison to the concept, where the piece is probably about the size of a full grown adult. If you're going for the fully grown counterpart you may need to look at making them much larger to match the trees age. If you are trying to get the sapling look from the concept then your trees need some tweaks to match the look better. Branches are arcing upwards instead and the needles are closer to the branches in the adolescent versions of the trees. As well as playing with the scale as well. :)

It's cool stuff so far just losing some of the original scale from the concept!

Image result for young christmas trees 
    Thank you so much! You were absolutely right! I did some adjustments to the scale, the camera and some of the textures and this is the result so far: At the end, I've decided to render it on unreal. Any feedback is really appreciated!

• panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I clean some of the textures and the trees to have more negative areas.
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Close-ups of the main prop

• panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After having a look into the environment I've decided to give it another go with the composition. I still need to add some variety to the trees and I've decided to add a small character (based on the concepts of Simon) to add some narrative to the environment. Its time to do some retopology!
  • LouisPhilippe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LouisPhilippe greentooth
    looks nice so far my dude!
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice so far my dude!
    Thank you :)
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Character finished!finished
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Hot damn this is looking fabulous so far, my only real critique would be that you need more variation in the trees in the background. 
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 said:
    Hot damn this is looking fabulous so far, my only real critique would be that you need more variation in the trees in the background. 
    Thank you so much! Yeah I'm working on that right now :) let's see how that goes! Also on the pose of the character to include him on the environment... Almost there!! 
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some new renders on the character

• panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At last!! This is the final piece so far!! I changed the composition a bit (Again) hahaha But I thought of adding some narrative to the piece using the new fella I just made. I played around with some of the lightmap and lighting settings inside unreal, Using the Unreal academy videos that Tilman Milde awesomely made on his Unreal lighting academy series, from which I learn a lot! I also added some variety to the foliage and I did a simple rig for my character so that I could position him on the environment. The landscape was made using world machine, I used some LUTS for my postprocessing and I tweaked some of the values. 

• panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, the piece is done!! For the final touches, I used substance designer to add some soil into the snowy terrain, Also I break some horizontality by creating small hills in the distance. I also added some extra dirt and wear to the destroyed robots and change their position to have a better composition by having a better layout of negative and positive spaces. 

Thank you for all the help! And you can find more of the project on my artstation post, as well as some Marmoset viewer windows for the robot and the sphere. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k4aYWx