Home Career & Education

Sudden need to get pro. But how.

Sunseaker
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Sunseaker polycounter lvl 4
Hello!

I have been learning 3D for fun in my spare time for a few years now with the idea of One Day getting a job in a studio doing character or creature modeling. I have a job completely unrelated to design that I actually really enjoy, but just found out the team is getting downsized and my contract will be ending sometime in July. 

This is deffo a sign it's time to swap fields and try to do what I really want. I was looking at CGMA and other online classes but a lot don't start until late April and I think I'v only got about 4 months. I'm not learning from scratch, I have an old portfolio and I know ZBrush pretty well, and the basics of Substance and Maya.

Is it bonkers to try learning everything else and get a new portfolio together in that amount of time? How do I optimize/maximize my learning, what should I try to focus on and in what order? I figured ZBrush anatomy, texturing in Substance then topology in Maya? Maybe aim for 3 nice game ready human characters? 

Is this unfeasible? I can probably put a good 30-40 hours a week in after work, at least for a while anyway. If if even slightly possible I'd really appreciate a study plan or list of super intense online classes.

Thanks in advance, from someone having a quiet panic during their lunch-break.

Replies

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    can you share your current portfolio? It would be a lot easier for us to give useful advice.

It might also be an option for you to spend a few months learning fulltime after your contract has ended.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    That's will depends on your current skill level why don't you post few of your latest work even if they are not complete ?
    4 months 2 characters and bust or character and 2 busts that's sound doable just have to hit a decent quality level
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Without seeing work: 

1) Plan on getting atleast a part time gig to string you along for a while. Ideally something that doesn't leave you completely drained at the end of a shift.

2) you might have trouble producing quality art and learning as you go if you're coming at this from a place of panic and desperation.

3) what industry exactly are you looking to go in to?
  • Sunseaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry I wasn't thinking. Heres some 3D stuff I did for fun. I'm already working on a full human figure but it's taking a long time, which I now realize I don't really have. It's all High Poly, I need to learn retopo too. It's not perfect but maybe I can upgrade some of it?
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Looks like you know what you doing so go back and do few portfolio worthy characters

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Yeah, @carvuliero is spot on.

I can't find fault with your work, actually quite polished to honest. Now all ya gotta do is whip up 2 or 3 chars/creatures related too the style you're most passionate about and bingo! they'll come clambering for your signature, mark my words :D

EDIT:
    Retopo shouldn't present to much of an issue for you to learn on the fly or if needs be grab some tips from Michael Pavlovich.

https://www.artstation.com/michaelpavlovich
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Hmm, I'm gonna disagree a bit.  While your work isn't bad, learning to create game ready characters at a high level is definitely going to take longer than 4 months.  Especially if you are looking to create actual folio ready high quality character art.  I think if you could do ONE solid piece in that time, you would be doing really well.  Don't rush, just create something amazing.  And honestly, don't limit yourself to 4 months.  Get feedback, lots of it, don't work in a bubble.  Focus on anatomy heavily.  Just for frame of ref, a next gen character being done by a AAA sr character artist can take anywhere from 1-3 months.  So, thinking you can do 3-4 in approximately the same time when you don't have the same experience is pretty naive.
  • Sunseaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone, that's pretty encouraging feedback. Slosh that is really helpful, I appreciate the honesty. I remember someone at a local studio telling me they took 1-1.5 months which is what I based my estimate on. But you are totally right, that is really untenable for a beginner, I need to be more realistic.

Okay! So I think I will focus on doing one Really Good character for now? I need to polish my anatomy skills first and get a really solid idea to work on. I will make sure to come back here to get (and give) feedback as I go.

Thanks for the help everyone, I am feeling a bit calmer now. Will make a plan.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Nice one :)

...and I should really confine my comments to critiquing guns, cars, tanks 'n stuff :/