Home Technical Talk

Maya - "Unable to find the bind pose" when exporting to FBX

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
L0Lock polycounter lvl 2
Hi !

I'm creating a rigged character in Maya 2018, via Advanced Skeleton, meant to be exported to Unreal Engine.

So far I have a complete rigged character with basic color textures, all I want for now is to export this into fbx for Unreal. But when I do so, I get plenty of errors :

<div>The plug-in has found the following skin definition problems :&nbsp;</div><div>	Unable to find the bind pose for :&nbsp; / Group / Main / DeformationSystem. Use the DAG node current transform.</div>
There are dozens of it.
So far I followed what's described here. I used the following MEL commands :
delete bindPose2 bindPose4&nbsp;
To get rid of the old bind poses, and created a new one with that command :
dagPose -save -name "bindPose"
Then I tried to export again, but I still get the errors. Less of them (I think I had about 50, now I have 34).
I don't understand why I still got those, especially that when I select one of the concerned objects and inspect the channel box content, I see only the "bindPose" which I created through MEL.

Here's the latest .ma file I have (28.8MB, it doesn't contain my MEL solving attempts).

Thanks for your attention.

Replies

• Tatjana_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try deleting all the bind poses in the outliner, and then instead of the script you mentioned run: dagPose -bp -save.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, you need to delete ALL of the bindposes and rebuild a single one for the skeleton.

To nuke all of the bindposes:

1. In outliner go to Display and uncheck DAG Objects Only
    2. Then in the search bar look for *bind* that should show every bindpose in the scene, delete them all.
    3. Clear the search bar, and turn on DAG Objects Only again.

Rebuild the bindpose:
    1. Then select every joint in your skeleton and do what Tatjana_J said... 
    2. In the MEL bar, bottom lower left corner type dagPose -s -bp and hit enter.

That will rebuild your bindpose and should take care of that issue. Bindposes sometimes get left behind when you bind and unbind meshes or add things to an existing set of skinned objects. It's annoying that Maya doesn't maintain a clean bindpose or have a few simple button clicks to rebuild it but it's usually only an issue for people who export animations, so mostly game artists/animators, ha.

• MattBellArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This solved the error for me. Thank you!
  • L0Lock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L0Lock polycounter lvl 2
    I'm really sorry I forgot I posted here :o
    Thanks for your answers!
  • DarkBahamut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkBahamut polycounter lvl 7
    ^ this. Thank you!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    glad you bumped it, this just came in handy for me.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I only today noticed that in my rigs that dagPose -s -bp would wire up pretty much everything in the scene to the bindPose and bogs things down. According to the docs, default behavior is to add to the hieararchy, but I read out from some joints, so I assume Maya just goes on a node graph walkabout.

So dagPose -s -sl -bp instead only adds it to selected joints works for me!
  • pigfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello I have a slight problem with this... after doing this cleaning process, removing all bindposes and creating a new bindpose (bindPose1) that works fine. I export it.

However after importing (re-opening .fbx file) the bindposes are back and no longer work. After opening .fbx file I have sometimes 3-8 bindposes (bindPose1, bindPose2... ) instead of just one bindPose1. Am I doing something wrong?