Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

70s March

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Bostvic polycounter lvl 5
So the 70s aren't a style seen much in environmental art, which is a shame, because for me it epitomises why I love game art: it shows you something visually interesting that you probably wouldn't want to live in. So for all of March, I am going to be working on 70s themed props and, if I have time, I might construct a kitchen environment or something.

Just doing a quick few hours in google has yielded one result: Terracotta. Everywhere.

Pretty sure my grandfather still owns plates like those. I love it.

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    looking forward to this
  • Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took me a few days (most of the week, actually) but I managed to throw together a lamp. This is probably the first thing I've made in Max (transferred from Blender in January) where I didn't have to tear my hair out over everything. UVing is a particularly mixed bag as far as I am concerned, but it does have a few cool features.

First time using Unity's HDRP and SSS. Not 100% happy with the finish on that lamp shade and I think I need to amp up the thickness around the rim to simular wire, but I'm going to see how noticeable it is in a larger scene. I lvoed doing the patterns for the shades, so next up, I might tackle those iconic Kilncraft plates.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Man I'm binge watching that 70's show, this thread is gonna be good.
  • Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the supportive comments!

Update: Started working on some Bacchus ceramics. trying to get that trimsheet workflow down. Was really tough getting the straight pattern to tile around the bend of the plates so I had to compromise by putting in extra geo. LODs should solve any tri count issues, but I think I'll wait to explore that option if I need it.

A WIP of the ceramics so far:

I'm happy with how the plates and the bowl are looking, but the mug is now a little low on the polycount next to the plates.
  • Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've decided to take the plunge and make a whole kitchen. I only have 9 days left of March but I think I can do it. Decided to do a little colour test with my blockout. Obviously being the 70s there will be a lot more patterning but this is just to get an idea for lighting and colour tones.

I dont think the roof will stay gold. It will probably be white. 
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    I look forward to seeing what you churn out in the next nine days! The kitchen standing room feels a little cramped. Are you using a 'to scale human model' to help with the proportions of the blockout?
  • Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree with the kitchen being cramped. I pulled out the work surface to make a little more room.

Even though the wallpaper is still WIP, I sort of like it as it is so I might leave it. I don't like the edge of the wooden counters. Think of either adding some scuff details, a decal or an inset bevel to make it look less fake.

I went with green cabinets rather than wood in the end. I did a few texture tests but ultimately it was just too much. I feel like the green is somehow nicer but also much bolder. Also allows me to use the wood for a secondary complimentary colour. I've also decided to put the cooker and the fridge in white to break up the green.

I'm not 100% happy with the lino but looking at reference I feel like it at least looks pretty authentic, even if it is a dire shade of green.

• Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So I decided to change up the colour scheme again. The wallpaper, whilst awesome, was distracting from the cabinets. Still a lot of placeholder stuff in here (like that picture with a piglet in it...)