Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Just a simple low poly spanner I did (looking to improve) :)

lockey1995
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lockey1995 polycounter lvl 5
Hey, 

So I've posted quite a bit on here and ended up taking a break and I got asked to post some stuff i make for critique to improve I did this spanner/wrench depending where you are from and would like to hear your thoughts. I will admit I did get stuck on the clean up of topology and I think i need to improve in that regard, pretty happy how the textures turned out I was trying to go for a weathered but subtle look but that's to the best of my ability at the current moment I used material layering in substance painter and various generators. 

Also played around with high and low poly bakes and baked it down and learnt allot from that also the indent was made using some floating geo on the highpoly which i also learnt on here so thank you for that :).

This is my first upload to sketch fab so need to learn the settings in terms of the rendering but here it is:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/weathered-spanner-wrench-88a4ad37047e4723b27669fc8f4c0e7a

Cheers :)

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Overall looks pretty smart to me. Here's a few small things I see :

1. Seems like that edge going down the middle could be stitched off as it's not holding any volume. Maybe there is a reason though that you left it? I'm not a huge hard-surface guy so don't take my word for anything regarding stuff like that.

2. Similar to above, seems like this edge ain't doing nothing.

3. The only artistic critique -- these letters seem too sharp. Even if it was a new wrench usually stuff like that has a little softness to the edges. I also might expect the letters to not be planar like that but have a small bulge to them. I'm not looking at a reference, just a hunch I got so please ignore if it's ttoally wrong. You could use a blur filter on the normal map there, or perhaps a very light warp layer, or for complete control you could make those letters into a displacement map, convert to geo in zbrush, and then actually sculpt the subtle little detail. A lot of work for a wrench... but just throwing different options out there.

• lockey1995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lockey1995 polycounter lvl 5
    Overall looks pretty smart to me. Here's a few small things I see :

1. Seems like that edge going down the middle could be stitched off as it's not holding any volume. Maybe there is a reason though that you left it? I'm not a huge hard-surface guy so don't take my word for anything regarding stuff like that.

2. Similar to above, seems like this edge ain't doing nothing.

3. The only artistic critique -- these letters seem too sharp. Even if it was a new wrench usually stuff like that has a little softness to the edges. I also might expect the letters to not be planar like that but have a small bulge to them. I'm not looking at a reference, just a hunch I got so please ignore if it's ttoally wrong. You could use a blur filter on the normal map there, or perhaps a very light warp layer, or for complete control you could make those letters into a displacement map, convert to geo in zbrush, and then actually sculpt the subtle little detail. A lot of work for a wrench... but just throwing different options out there.

Cheers, yeah the lettering was done in substance and I couldn't figure out how to make it softer :( and the edge merging did give me shading errors but there is probably another way to merge it. I'm guessing in terms of clean up you want to merge all edges that don't effect the silhouette of the model?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    yeah, that's the basic idea. but there is some nuance when dealing with hard edges and normal maps and all that. there's an entire stickied thread about the subject.