Home Technical Talk

Using substance over modeling?

jordank95
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jordank95 polycounter lvl 8

Can someone help me understand the use of all these complicated substances I keep seeing? For example, I saw one posted today of an egg carton with eggs. 100% pure substance. What’s the point of this? This would surely be thousands more polys once tessellated opposed to just modeling an egg carton and some eggs out. Not to mention, probably a lot quicker to model out and texture than it would be to build the entire substance graph. 

I understand the procedural-ness behind it, but it still doesn’t make much sense to me to create this whole substance and use tessellation over just modeling out the carton and eggs. I get using flatter substances for textures, as I create regular terrain or non-organic textures on a regular basis. Another one I saw was a whole entire building front with windows, etc. Wouldn’t it be cheaper/faster to just model these out?

Also, for the egg carton, how would this even work in engine? Are you just applying this texture to a rectangle about the size of an egg carton and using displacement/tessellation information from your height map? How would this be any better than creating the actual model that has a more accurate silhouette? Are people just doing this for practice or are these complicated substances slowly replacing modeled out props?

Replies

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Substance designer is not for modeling (for the most part). I once tessellated cliff faces from a material in substance then brought it down to game level via Zbrush. 

The substances you see like the eggs or like the keyboards are for practice and fun. It's a unique material that provides a personal challenge for the artist and is usually never going to be applied like it would in game. Even though technically speaking you could without the tessellation and displacement.

They look impressive, however if you want ones that are more likely to be used in game look through what Josh lynch or Daniel thiger have created. Usually SD materials will follow a convention of being 2meters or 4meters and be much larger than the 20cm that a lot of SD matballs are.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, I've seen some insane use of Designer. These artists are just pushing SD to the limits to see what they can do with it. The craziest ones I've seen are the procedural village material and the stack of dollar bills material.

While these materials might not be very practical real-world examples, they are a great showcase for the power and possibilities of SD.

Check out this page for the top 10 of 2018. Some crazy, some practical. All pretty amazing.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    There's definitely some benefit with examples like your building front if it's going to be used to texture a box.  Baking from geometry would be easier/quicker for a one off but if you build it up sensibly in designer you are then in a position to generate a crap ton of variations very quickly indeed.

But yeah,  mostly pointless