Home Technical Talk

[Newbie question] What would be the best way to model this ?

Digipyro
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Digipyro polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,

I'm embaressed to ask this but is this the most effective (and cleanest) way to model this circle ? I end up with so many triangles and started to wonder. Even though I'm trying to get Smooth circle I'm still trying to be semi conservative. I understand I could throw in a dozen edge loops but I doubt that would be the way to go (feel free to tell me wrong if I am)

Replies

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    If you are traying to make a highpoly you can use subdiv to get smooth shapes. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    If this is an in-game production asset that will be baked then just add it to the normal map as it isn't that deep and doesn't affect the silhouette.
  • Digipyro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying not to make it high poly ( medium poly ?), the smooth modifier doubles if not triples the tri count. the result is great but unfortunately not the solution. I think it's mostly in the modelling. 
  • Digipyro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this is an in-game production asset that will be baked then just add it to the normal map as it isn't that deep and doesn't affect the silhouette.
    I'll give that a try.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, your topology is going to be like this when you have areas of contrast between high-segment curves and very sparse geometry. What you have is on the right track, but you have a redundant edge loop around the border of the top of the hole. It's doing nothing as it's on a flat surface an doesn't affect the form/silhouette. Also, another little trick is to collapse the edges around cylindrical forms where the silhouette isn't as noticeable - like I've done in the image below at the base of the hole.

When optimising your game mesh you can get away with a lot, but don't go too crazy(geo is cheap these days) don't sacrifice the silhouette for the sake of a few triangles, and don't be afraid to add extra segments to make curves look good. Just watch out for extremely thin triangles with long edges.

• Digipyro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm making an AC and wanted to give it a bit of depth so i could model a fan in front of it. making the back face dark.

Thank you for both replies. Will post the result.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, if it's a major form change that serves a function - like a housing for a fan in this case - then it should be modeled in if possible.