Home Technical Talk

I still have jagged edges on my normal map even though I have tried everything. What am I missing?

shunen
node
Offline / Send Message
shunen node
Hello everyone. I didnt want to open up another normal map thread, but I'm out of options. Here's the problem:

Here's the normal map:

Meshes:

Things I have tried:

-Straightening up UVs
-Adding anti-aliasing
-Dilation (From what I have understood, SP has infinite padding automatically (In baking options, I have my dilation width set to 1. It stil has problems if I raise it higher))
-Cutting where there are hard seams
-Smoothing Groups
-Baking with cage

That's all I remember right now. What am I missing? Why do I still have this problem? Thanks for any help beforehand! :)

Replies

• mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickeyvpn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey @shunen
    You can try straighten UV's this way. Or increase chamfer on the highpoly model, so it have more space on texture to make gradient.

• shunen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shunen node
    mickeyvpn said:
    Hey @shunen
    You can try straighten UV's this way. Or increase chamfer on the highpoly model, so it have more space on texture to make gradient.

Thanks for the quick answer! When I straighten them up like that, I get streching. But, the waviness went away finally! (Thank god.)

Here's the strech map in Maya (I straightened up some edges using Straighten UV, because it affected other vertices. But, even with that, it affected the other UV as well, because I dont take any faces in middle of the blade. It created nasty artifacts, so I joined them together, so the blade itself doesnt have any thickness. Is this wrong?)

Aff: Affecting the other edge

Streching on the model itself: