Home Career & Education

Game Animation: Questions about rigging, transitioning from 3ds Max to Maya

Hi

I'm looking to break into the biz and get work, I'm mainly interested in action-heavy animations. I'm a novice, I was a hobbyist modeler and did some animations in 3ds max using CAT and now I'm trying to figure out what should I do in regards to rigging. At this point, I'm looking to just animate as much as possible and to spend as little time rigging as possible. But, as you may be well aware, you can't animate without a rig...

So, I have some experience with 3ds max CAT and I LOVE it's modular ability to add limbs, tails, legs, cloth and armor bones, but I found limitations of it rather crippling. So I want to switch to Maya because I sense I have to do that anyway sooner or later since that's the main app in the industry. But I'm wondering how I should approach transitioning to Maya?

It seems like there are several solutions which a similar to 3ds Max CAT, namely rigloo and Advanced Skeleton. So, I would like to get advice from more experienced users. My goal is: I want to animate several characters in the span of several months and I would like to animate as much as possible. Basic stuff like walk cycles, climbing, moving rocks, and some action scenes. So what rigging solution would be the best for me? Thanks.

Replies