Home Career & Education

The "are you passionate about games?" question

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
Is it simply "will it be easy to make this guy work extra hours?", but using nice words, or is it a genuine question? It doesn't make much sense to me. As I understand the word "passion", it means "being ready to sacrifice some parts of your life for the sake of the thing you're passionate about". If I'm passionate about playing the guitar, I'm ready to sacrifice my social life/money/time to be better at playing the guitar. Instead of going to a party, I stay at home and practice guitar for 8 hours. If I do it for years, that's passion. Hearing such a profound question at a job interview feels shady (to say the least). Why would I be passionate about something I don't and will never own? When I work for someone I'm selling my time - I agree to do my job the best I can and as fast as I can. I shouldn't be passionate about it, I should fulfil my part of the contract. I consider my approach to be fair and logical. That's how I would like someone to work if I were to hire anyone to work on my game.

Therefore I see two options here:
1) it's either a question to assess whether the interviewee is naive and easy to be exploited, or
2) it's just another cliche and meaningless question formed by some HR guy long time ago and still mindlessly repeated by other HR people, because they have no actual idea what they should ask about

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I would say thats a valid question. I saw a lot of artits loosing there passion about games, learning new things, playing them and the stoped to inovate there skills. New junger Artists with a lot of passion learned every new tool and workflow and the "olds" lost there interest to install a tool they dont know. I dont need Substance i will do that in PS like the past 5 years.

Its not about willing to sacrafice your social live its about are you interested to learn. To adopt new workflows and tools. Its about Artists they come to work and say have you seen the environment in the new God of War? Let us make such great rocks.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    In most if not all creative/artistic fields being passionate is a prerequisite.
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    New junger Artists with a lot of passion learned every new tool and workflow and the "olds" lost there interest to install a tool they dont know. I dont need Substance i will do that in PS like the past 5 years.
    What's the point of learning a new tool if you can already achieve the same result with another tool?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    You cant do the same with Photoshop and you are ten times slower.
    And a lot of time you arnt allowed to break the pipeline.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I started end of 2013. Substance Painter / Designer, Marvelous Designer, Quxiel Suite, several modelling softwares, Unreal 4, wide spread use of PBR rendering, scanning,...  all came afterwards. The workflows from just 5 years ago don't cut it anymore. Yeah, they are the basics and you can get it done to some degree without learning the new tools, but you can be certain production won't appreciate you if you don't keep up. And while you can learn on the job and get courses and other things, you will need to be willing to spend spare time to keep up.

To be honest, you are coming off like the perfect example why this question is being asked. It has nothing to do with being exploited. But there are so many people trying to break it into the industry, why should I bother with someone who thinks doing just the job is enough, when I can have someone as good who also enjoys doing it and has the internal drive to improve and wants to get the most out of the work he/she is putting it? 

In any job I would go to the person passionate about it because they do more than necessary to keep up with their field and do their work. Don't kid yourself, if you are not passionate about doing the work, investing in your career you will never work as hard and/or fast as someone who cares about it. I don't know anyone who got really good at his/her craft without being passionate about it.
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:
    why should I bother with someone who thinks doing just the job is enough, when I can have someone as good who also enjoys doing it and has the internal drive to improve and wants to get the most out of the work he/she is putting it?
    That's exactly what I do not hear when I hear this question. It's extremely ambiguous to me what one means by saying "passion". I may have passion for my craft, but it doesn't mean I will have passion for my job. Job is not your life. Job is where you go to earn money so you can have a life. Making sacrifices for my own sake is entirely, fundamentally different thing than making sacrifices for my employer. Employer shouldn't ask about my private life or private goals.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If i wouldnt model a Dragon right now for my Boss i would do it at home.
    But my Jobs allows me todo what i love. More time for my family. Happy me.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Biomag said:
    why should I bother with someone who thinks doing just the job is enough, when I can have someone as good who also enjoys doing it and has the internal drive to improve and wants to get the most out of the work he/she is putting it?
    That's exactly what I do not hear when I hear this question. It's extremely ambiguous to me what one means by saying "passion". I may have passion for my craft, but it doesn't mean I will have passion for my job. Job is not your life. Job is where you go to earn money so you can have a life. Making sacrifices for my own sake is entirely, fundamentally different thing than making sacrifices for my employer. Employer shouldn't ask about my private life or private goals.
    Generally this question is asked because HR is supposed to.

I mean obviously its good to be passionate about what you do, especially in art, and being passionate does make doing the job more enjoyable/bearable for a great many people.
    However to take the answer to the question "are you passionate about games" at face value is meaningless, asking it is more about checking a box on the list, at least formally.

Its while you're working that you may have an opportunity to demonstrate how passionate you are.
    And this again depends on the job and how people perceive what being passionate means to them.

For instance you may be passionate about the process of character art, and not necessarily the character in the game, and his helps you do your job well.
     Or you might show up on time and stay late hoping that this might get you a promotion, your passion is also probably more about status/money in this case or just wanting more responsibility.

A lot of opportunity in a large corporate game studio does depend on a lot more than just the quality of your art because of your passion for it, so many people understandably approach it with what's possible for them.

Like if making money to live a life was all a job meant to you, you'd likely not go out to drinks with your senior co-workers for the slight possibility that doing so might result in promotion at work.
    Or probably you'd do it because of the money that comes with the promotion.
    Not every employee has some ulterior motive though, many are just trying to fit in.

Now the next bit depends on how your employer responds to this passion.
    If they value you, you'll have much to gain from the experience,
    If they don't, for some, the experience might be a valued asset to the next job, or you stick with your job and your employer is a ass and abuses the s* out of you.

In the case of the latter, again some people may be too blind in their passion to realise this, kind of like an abusive relationship, and others might decide to stick around hoping that this would change, or they won't leave because they have other responsibilities like family, bills and mortgages that rely on staying within the job.

Usually for people that have the "a job is for money to have a life" mindset, a lot of that money is spent on things that need maintaining.
    When the job is lost, unless they're prepared for it they're pretty much f*ed, so its rare of these sort of people to leave a job unless they have a better offer.

I feel that given how unpredictable this industry is, that's probably a good approach, though I for one would limit my spending and save up. 

I've always felt that if you are truly passionate you might consider being more entrepreneurial or atleast distinguish yourself as one of the best in your craft so you are valued more for it and have more options.

In my experience some companies (particularly indie companies) value passion more, since their budgets are lower and they rely on their employees to learn and apply themselves to a multitude of situations. They would also rather have their employee stick around rather than just leave in a year.
     The good ones treat their employees well and achieve this loyalty naturally.

Other companies would prefer an employee to fill a quota which can range from anything between needing another level artist to hiring a certain person since the team lacks diversity, the employee in this case is just a number that can be easily replaced if needed.

And besides you need employees like this to do the work no one else wants, rather work that anyone else can do with little to no training.
    In that sense maybe passion is more about looking pleased with yourself even if you're getting the worst possible deal, since to you it would still be good enough, or better than the minimum wage job you were doing.

Most people in this position aren't really cut out for taking greater risks and regardless of how passionate they think they are, its probably not going to change ever.

Usually the employees that are in the firing line for this question and suffer the most are also the company's greatest bootlickers.
    They're the sort of people who would list a series of cons and then go on to give the company 5 stars just because of their anonymity, or justify lower compensation or layoffs.

I don't think they'd go very far, and if they're passionate it certainly isn't about what they're doing in their job, rather their passion isn't strong enough for them to make it on their own.
    Not that everyone needs to.

We had this one guy back at my game dev school who really took the initiative in standing out of the crowd, even started his own company and was managing multiple teams.
    He was seen as someone who'd go pretty far in his career.

Then he met a girl and that all went to s*.
    I think he's happy with the girl so that's probably where the passion went.

Different strokes for different folks.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I get OP's premise, but if you are going to be a mercenary you got to be smart and not put yourself off in a bad way over semantics.

You know that you are mature enough that you won't let anybody take advantage of you, right? So just give the answers they want as honestly as you can and then go and do your job as professionally as you can. When you are at work give 100% to the job. When you are at home give 100% to the family. If the bossman is trying to pressure you into an unethical amount of overtime a year later and says, "I thought you was passionate, dude?" you can say, "yes but I'm more passionate about seeing my family after the legal eight hour day." Maybe they won't hire you again or give you a good recommendation, but, that's just how it is.

If you are falling behind the industry's working standards but you don't want to sacrifice the time to stay ahead... you probably need to step back and figure out a new way to earn your money.

Passion comes and passion goes. Right now I am just beginning 3d, so of course I am crazy about it. Ten years from now will I still absolutely love pushing verts? Probably I'll want to advance my career or try a different side road by that time. I think I'll always love making art but I don't want to be the grunt forever. It's a job for people with lots of passion. Maybe that is where you are? Maybe it's time to get your own thing going where you can give new employees the work/life balance you think is most appropriate?

• ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    If i wouldnt model a Dragon right now for my Boss i would do it at home.
    Isn't everyone like that? People who would go to work on games and then get back home and spend their time on something entirely different just don't exist. If that's what passionate means, then virtually everyone is passionate.

NikhilR said:

Thanks for a detailed answer. Now I'm even more confused. 

Maybe that is where you are?
    I never even had a job as a 3D artist yet. That's why I made this thread, I'm trying to figure out things.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    A 3d artist job is a job where you work with people. With people. Not against them. So if the attitude is, "how can i get mine and get away unscathed?" you will not be a popular person. If the attitude is, "how can I help the team the most?" then you are going to be a popular person.

Listen, I've worked in a number of pretty varied industries. Across the board, the number one thing that makes a worker valuable is attitude. Attitude is the bedrock. Humans can pick up on what kind of attitude you have very quickly and with a lot of accuracy. Even if they are inaccurate -- doesn't matter. Perception is reality. This is basically the entire reason for face-to-face interviews. So no matter what your real attitude is, you got to be aware of how you come across and make sure it's the way that's going to be beneficial. The best thing to do is find a job in which your natural attitude coincides with the work, this way you can relax and be honest and not feel like you are fighting the system. If your natural attitude is one of, "I just work so I can go home and play with nice toys," you should probably look for a job where the interview questions are more like, "can you show up on time? Good."

"How can I help the team the most." That's the attitude you want people to get when they speak with you. Doesn't mean you are a push-over or you're going to do any damn thing the boss tells you to. You can be up front and honest and say that you value your family time and that under most circumstances you will not be able to work much overtime. Just be honest for the sake of clear communication -- you don't want to seem like a punk kid with a chip on the shoulder.