Home Featured Artwork

Sketchbook: Wiki

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
WiktoriaK polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys! I am starting this sketchbook to keep busy with 3D, 2D, anatomy studies while I am in search for a stable job! Hopefully the improvements I will make here will help me out in the future :) The critiques are more than welcome!

Currently I have been working on a hair shader in Marmoset Toolbag. The hairstyle itself is terrible though (I realize it doesn't follow the head at all) and so this is what I will be working on for the next weeks during my free time!

I'm also working on a character bust:

Slowly but steady I will get somewhere with both of those assignments. I will keep ya updated!

Replies

• WiktoriaK
    Offline / Send Message
    Working out the new hairstyle. First layers done, now gotta build on top of that :)

• WiktoriaK
    Offline / Send Message
    Hair done! I learned a lot with this :D Was really fun. If Id start it all over it would be - again - so much better now.

More research and turntable: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DxNrve

• Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    You did a really nice job with this last hair asset. I would just suggest to add one more layer with single flyaway hairs to get that extra natural feel to it. Now haircut is that smooth ;)  For example heck with Stephanie Chafe's work on Odyssey -> https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4boWPl You can see the single hairs breaking it up all over the place. It would help with areas like on your third picture, side view in the front of the head where you can recognize the hair cards.

The other thing I might consider, though this is depending on your reference, the hair at the end in the back looks like its on broader cards, but you you are actually using thin cards. Again, not knowing your reference my comment might be wrong, but I would use the geo that you have there to just break it up a little so that it doesn't look as if it where broad hair cards.

But again that's just the final 10% to push it. Its very nice work so far :)
  • WiktoriaK
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! Yeah I definitely agree with you. The flyaway cards would help a lot to make it look more realistic. Once I will come back to my hair research and advance with it further, I will for sure keep that in mind and fix it :smile: For now I am planning to focus on something new, since I spent most of my free time for quite a while now on just learning how to work with realtime hair.

I am not sure if I understand your second point though, I'm sorry! Could you explain it a bit more? 

Also this was my reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYEF2Iu0ctE

• Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Its just something minor - might be also just related to shadows - but maybe this image helps:

If you look at the reference you can see the thiner strands how they break of from each other. In your model though they get this look as if you are using singe wider hair cards. Looking at your geo its definitely not the case, so maybe by twisting them a bit more it would help to break up the planar look and have a bit more the feeling of volume? Again its more nit picking than a big deal, but looking at your mesh it surprises me that the textured version appears that little bit flater.

In any case your hair study was a success and you can be proud of your improvement :) Congratulations :)
  • WiktoriaK
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah I understand what you mean now, thanks a lot! I think this probably happened due to me trying to "fill" gaps with the smallest hair, what in consequence must have given the result of flattening it by the lighting in Marmoset :'( While I was working on it, someone gave me feedback that my back hair was not blended enough and I believe that - from one extreme - I went to the other, haha!

And thanks! It really makes me happy to hear you say that :) 

Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback, I will make sure to pay attention to those things next time!
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Beautiful work Wiktoria! I can only imagine all the hard work you put into this. I do agree with the fly away hair feedback from Erih - some breakup would really add to the realism of this. 

Did you hand place all hair cards manually, or did you use any cool tools you'd like to spotlight?
    How did you organize your work with so many hair cards? I know how easy it is to mess that up!
  • WiktoriaK
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ! Thanks a lot :smile: 

I placed all the hair cards manually. I couldn't really find any helpful enough tool to fasten the process up til now, but I'm hoping that if I continue on, I will eventually find a more approachable workflow. 

When it comes to the organization - I think everything depends on how patient you are. The more impatient you get, the messier and less realistic the result will be, and you will be piling things on top of each other that will start looking like a big blob. At least that's the impression I got from my own experience up til now :smile: Also, what helped me a lot was keeping both 3DS Max and Marmoset open and regularly testing the result in Marmoset, so I could have a bit more control over how it's looking. And the other thing I could advice is to have some quick reference shapes done in Zbrush so you know better how the flow of the hair will go and work on top of it. Later on, it actually might fill the gaps and make you use less haircards, while it looks like you used a lot of them if you reshape it at the end a little bit. I hope that makes sense haha.
  • WiktoriaK
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple of months ago I had the pleasure to work on a Character Course made for Yiihuu. This is the result :D

More screenshots, sketchfab and turntable: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aR33XR

• WiktoriaK
    Offline / Send Message
    Now in my freetime I decided to go back to the sculpt I was working on before and fix it up!