Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Girl Character ( looking for c&c - and a question)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mustafaduyar polycounter lvl 4
hey all, 
i am currently working on this girl and looking critics.

honestly i am happy with this face model.but i am in trouble with placing hair cards. any advice for maya user for placing hair cards. thanks in advance.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    what trouble are you having with the hair cards? there is quite a few tutorials covering this. here is one i've found helpful : https://gumroad.com/l/pDpQi
     adam skutts isn't so different from many of the others as far as the technique goes but he provides the marmoset file which is really nice.

for the actual placing of cards, I try to think of it like if you were a line chef or a carpenter getting ready to do some work. First thing is you prep your area. So you lay out all the pieces you are going to work from in an organized manner and get everything in the most ergonomic position. This means setting the pivot of each of your cards to the bottom vertex so you can grab one, duplicate it (set to a hotkey on my mouse), and then snap it onto the head easily. Then you just rotate as needed, switch to vert selection with soft selection, and rotate and move as needed.

You want to work like an assembly line. Do all things that require a similar motion together before moving onto the next. So rather than place a card, tweak a card, place another card... I'd place cards first then go through and rotate, then go through and tweak. This way your hands can just get real fast as they are doing the same movements over and over. Less taxing on the brain and eyes as well.

Break the work up into layers and especially in the beginning trust that the stacking of layers is going to accomplish the final look. You'll waste time in the beginning with too much nit-pickey tweaking.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    1) Make a proxy Zbrusuh sculpt of the hair.  Break it up into the medium volumes.  There should be several separate subtools.
    2) Isolate each volume on its own, and use that as the base for placing your hair cards via a ZBrush IMM Hair Brush.
    3) Reepate for the separate volumes.
    4) There will be a lot of minute noodling.

Need additional clarification?
  • mustafaduyar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mustafaduyar polycounter lvl 4
    i finished this. thanks to you guys. strictly comments and critics would really help.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Oygvok