Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Translate step snapping, and moving selection pivot

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BTDarmstad polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone!

I'm currently converting to 3DS Max after a few years modeling in Cinema 4D, and I have a couple of tools that I dearly miss in 3DS Max, or at least I haven't found anything like them in 3DS Max.

Number 1: Translation step snapping

Simply lets you move objects a certain distance at a time. I find this especially useful when I want to move an element out of the way to model the things surrounding it, and not lose the position the element was previously in.

Number 2: Changing the pivot of a selection

Lets you move the pivot of your current selection, whether it's vertices, edges or polys. Like number 1, I need this for accuracy. I was just modeling something like this example in 3DS Max, and I had absolutely no way to pull this off with accurate measurements. I had to eyeball it, and I hate eyeballing something when I have already set something up for accurate measurements. As far as I can tell, there's no way to do this in 3DS Max, as pivot point is changed in the hierarchy panel, and once you move there, you lose your selection. You can only change the pivot of the entire object, which doesn't affect the selection pivot in any way.

Are there any tools like these in 3DS Max, or are there any equivalents to them?

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    first one:   it's not as nice as c4d/maya but...   
    • typing "r5" into one of the transform fields will move the selection 5 units in the direction indicated
    • 3d snap can do this but you do have to fiddle with the settings
    • use custom/user grids 
    I generally either type transforms in or place point helpers in known positions to use as reference points

second one:
    • you can use the working pivot - its a bit tedious though
    • you don't need to move the pivot.  when you have a group selection you can transform relative to the vertex/edge/whatever that the cursor is over when you start dragging. You can lock to an axis by clicking on the transform tool prior to dragging. 

Max's snapping tools are a bit weird compared to other apps but they're extremely powerful and fluid once you have your head around them 
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    So 3DS Max those tools work kind of behind the scenes with snapping rather than an explicit tool or function for them. First thing I suggest is right clicking the snapping options at the top with all of the magnets and turning on axis constraints.

Second make sure your grid is set up appropriately with the units you want and the divisions. This can be changed at anytime.

Using shift+right click you can quickly change how you're snapping things around. I usually work with a combo of vert and grid and just toggle snapping on and off with the "S" keybind.

Once this is done you can go to any of the orthographic views and quickly snap the object around. Quick keybinds to the views help speed everything up but are not necessary. Either that or working with multiple viewports.

The way the snapping works in 3ds max with changing the pivot isn't actually to change the pivot of the selection but rather to snap a vert/edge/face to another point which can be done by selecting your desired verts and then when you go to move it instead of clicking the gizmo click the vert you wish to snap within the selection to then snap it to your destination.

That should work with most of the situations as it also works with selection and sub-object mode. If you need something that is not snap dependent there is also the working pivot. Which is found under the hierarchy tab.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Max's snapping is pretty good. Just takes some getting used to as poopipe mentioned. I beef up my snapping tools with the free WallWorm tools. The Nudge tools are EXTREMELY useful.

For the nudge tools I have it hotkeyed to my arrow keys so I can move 1 grid unit in XYZ with a key press. I've started to use Blender recently and the 'hold ctrl to snap' feature is so handy. Wish it was in Max.

Another handy pivot feature in Max is the right click quad menu 'place pivot surface'. You can dynamically place the pivot in screen space and it will stick to object surface normals. This can also be used with snapping turned on, and it can be set for move/rotate/scale independently. This switches to working pivot mode.

I use a script that sets my pivot to the median of whatever I have selected(works in object mode too and with multiple objects) Particularly useful when used with a vertex selection. This can be useful for moving sub-objects around the local pivot by changing the pivot flyout to 'use transform coordinate centre'.

Max has a wide range of pivot tools available and all can be used with snapping to do whatever you need.

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've got a tool, Grid Move, that works similar to Discreet Move in maya (probably similar to what you are asking for).
    The only gotcha is that you have to turn off regular snap while using this tool.

Right Click to save.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x43ouz91gbfstq5/Martinez_Macro_GridBasedMovement.mcr?raw=1

• cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Also further recommendations: one of the various "Set Subobject to Working Pivot" scripts, as well as miauu's Visual Pivot Placer (love this one especially)
  • BTDarmstad
    Offline / Send Message
    BTDarmstad polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the help, everyone! I have now found highly useful tools for exactly what I was looking for and then some (locking selection and moving from a vertex instead of the pivot is even better than what I had in C4D!). Much appreciated.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I'll also give a shout out to Miauu and all his VERY useful scripts. http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/miauus-script-pack-vol-2

some of Miauu's tools are redundant now as Max has the feature natively, but his script packs are definitely worth checking out.

And Scriptspot in general. Max's scripting community has always been one of its strongest suits. There are a TON of scripts that can do pretty much anything you need, modeling-wise.

• miauu
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you cptSwing and musashidan. :)

BTDarmstad, If you want to move the objects or subobjects at arbitrary direction at exact distance then this may be useful: