Home Technical Talk

Low Poly Modelling Questions

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
So, i'm starting at 3D modelling and i have some questions about low poly stuff.

1. I wanted to make a medieval table with separate planks, like on the image bellow:

I really want these beveled edges on both top and bottom part, and i tried to get the same effect baking a high poly mesh onto the low poly mesh. But it doesn't look the same ( not even close ).
Here's another image without the wireframe:

Is there any problem to use these bevels on the low poly mesh, since i want these beveled effect on the plank ?

2. Do you have some tips about low poly modelling?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    If you get close enough to see them then you should keep the bevels.  You'll use LOD meshes for when they're further away in game
  • PinguN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your help poopipe. Let me ask you another question. Do i have to create a object for both cases? One with more details like this bevels for when i'm close to the object, and one with almost no details for higher distances?
  • rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    Not poopipe, but generally yes. I think UE4 has simplygon integrated for automatic LOD generation, but building it by hand will always produce superior results. 

At the same time, if you're just starting out i wouldn't concern yourself too much with LOD's and stuff, and rather develop your base skills. Basically, if you think you need the bevels for the prop - you intend it to be seen close up or it's quite large, etc., then keep them in. 

As an aside, when i'm baking bevels and need the silhouette details i tend to use 1 or 2 bevel segments on my LP and bake the higher res ones onto it, which looks a lot more convincing than no beveling, and isn't too much more expensive. (but it looks like you only have 1 segment on your HP to begin with).
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yes,  there are tools that automate the process but they'll mostly make a right mess of bevel removal. 

For portfolio purposes it's not especially important since nobody else bothers
  • PinguN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys. I think i'll focus on enhancing my modelling skills before i jump onto something bigger, like a game or something like that. Maybe create some stuff for a portifolio. I'm too concerned about technical details like how many polys should i have or how should i do something. But anyway, thank you for the help.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    PinguN said:
     I think i'll focus on enhancing my modelling skills before i jump onto something bigger, like a game or something like that
    Good idea. :wink: