Home Adobe Substance

Using Multiple UV Maps

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Bulldog3dz polycounter lvl 7
Hello, 
So in most of my work I've been using the 1 to 1 UV space. However, I wanted to learn how to use multiple uv maps. Something like this...
However, when I take it over to Substance Painter (baking with these settings) I get this error where it seems like I'm getting some sort of tiling error??? If someone could help me out I'd appreciate it!

Replies

• Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Seems like you might be misunderstanding the usage and purpose of using multiple UV maps. Your example looks like i t might be a single UV map scaled up (don't recognize the software). The same could be achieved with increasing the resolution of your 0-1 tile.
    Google UDIMS and how to use them in painter.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    100 2048 texture sets is a bit overkill, but who am I to judge?

UV shells can't cross UV tiles like that; you'll need to either scale them down, or add geometry so the shells can be split into smaller pieces. Either way, you'll want to explore the UV Layout options (looks like you're using maya?) to distribute the shells across the UV tiles.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Painter bakes exclusively in 0-1 space. Anything outside will be ignored. There are several multiple UV workflows. UDIMS - which use the same UV channel, but multiple tiles outside 0-1.
    Then there is multiple channels which uses 0-1, but has different UV layouts in each channel. This workflow utilises multiple materials which relate to the channels.

Then there is the tiling texture/trim sheet/decal sheet/atlas methods. This uses UV space infinitely with each tile repeating the texture in 0-1.

Also, if you're using 100 texture sets then you have strayed deep into VFX territory and might want to look into UDIMS(or even Mari)

If this is a real-time production asset then you have overblown your texture memory budget on a single enviro asset.

Tiling textures/trim sheets with a few unique bake props is the way to go on environments.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If you import UDIMs into painter they will work fine for baking. 
    But you have to follow the UDIM rules. 
    https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/udim-144310352.html
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the correction, @oglu, I've never baked UDIMS in SP so I thought it still operated in 0-1. Good to know.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    The only thing missing in SPainter is painting across UDIMs. But they are working on it.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

oglu said:
    The only thing missing in SPainter is painting across UDIMs. But they are working on it.
    Yes. This is exactly why I don't bother with UDIMS in SP.