Home Technical Talk

Are edge loops around the whole object necessary?

exileshd
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
exileshd polycounter lvl 2
Apologies I can't remember the actual term for it.

A lot of modelling tutorials seem to tell you that you should be creating edge loops around the whole object (i.e. if I select a face it'll go around the whole object). Is it bad practice to not do so?

For example I'm modelling this sword and have made the loop go the whole way around:

Would it be bad practice to have had the loop stop at the hilt? I was tempted to just make the handle then add a new shape for the blade to make it easier, but I'm unsure if that's something I shouldn't do.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    No, go ahead. 

In this case, continuing the loops is highly inefficient - at least as far as the current shape of the mesh goes. 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    No not neccessarily however using an oft qouted adage, sometimes 'it will depend'. Now typically you'll find that manufactured hard surface hand held warfare implements, such as edged weapons similar too your posted sreencap are made up of separate parts i.e. blade, hand guard, hilt and prommel with each may comprise of distinct materials.

So really it's in my opinion a matter of preference, either model the entire cage mesh then separate into individual shapes or conversely blockout each component individuallly, then iterate detail definition accordingly which by and large the latter approach is my usual worflow.