Home Technical Talk

Maya Spine Rig

I am working on a still rendered shot where I am trying to show to the spine in the form of scoliosis. Although I am having trouble getting the implants and rod I've placed on the spine to deform properly with my spine rig when I move it.  I have attached some screenshot of the spine in it's regular form, when it's deformed, and the final image I am trying to mimic.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The implants should be parented to the spine joints/locators, or if you need to maintain a special hierarchy, you could use a parent constraint from Spine to Implant.

For the Rod, I would probably use a long curve, with a CV placed at each joint along the Spine chain. Then create a cluster per CV, parenting each to their corresponding joint. With a circle extruded along the curve, you get a rod that bends with the spine, but this is a maya-only solution.

Alternatively, you could use smaller rods- one section per joint. Parent them to their base joint, and add an Aim Constraint so they point at the next joint in the chain.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
     Think this question is special i would ask that the TDs over at techartist.
    http://tech-artist.org/