Home Technical Talk

[Help/Advice] Extracting a polygon/shape of an imported STL file

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ouieer node
Hello everyone :)

I'm a beginner in 3d max and would very much like to be helped solving this.

I have gotten a lot of help from members like @SonicBlue
@poopipe
@musashidan

I would gladly appreciate if I get help again with 3d modelling and applying textures or bitmaps  :#

I have received an STL file that I have to create a graphic image for... The object didn't contain anything else but itself and it wasn't really smooth. 

I wish to extract a part of it to put graphics on that space which I have marked on photoshop...

Now I tried selecting the polygons on this area but it just isn't accurate enough to get this area that I want. So I tried creating a spline on it and conforming the extruded spline on the object. Then I start trying to unpeel the polygon but nothing happens. Please check out this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR5X4Mf1p3s

Replies

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    From the video it seems that you are trying to unwrap an n-gon, and I think that algorithm can't figure out how to solve it. Try to tessellate to a decent amount of polygons, there should be an internal tool or plugin that do that in 3ds Max. 
  • ouieer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ouieer node
    SonicBlue said:
    From the video it seems that you are trying to unwrap an n-gon, and I think that algorithm can't figure out how to solve it. Try to tessellate to a decent amount of polygons, there should be an internal tool or plugin that do that in 3ds Max. 
    Didn't work :disappointed:
    But thank you anyway! :smile:

I didn't past the test for this by the way. I was going to make graphics for it but when I took the unwrapped plane that I traced on the object it didn't fit the actual model.