Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Space Marine

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
Hoping to get some input on a new overwatch stylized marine I'm trying to create. The body is done but now I'm working on blocking out the actual armour and such, any critique is welcome!

Replies

• apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some more progress over the last little bit. Working on getting it detailed and refined with zspheres and creasing + boolean. The upper body and armour is 90% done, I'm working on the little military bags and then moving down to the leg armour and feet before starting retopology.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Modeling wise nice work, but the practicalities of the design has some flaws. The torso armour/thigh pieces would make it incredibly difficult to move comfortably and drastically limit movement. What are the thigh pieces supposed to function as? I presume armour as there's no space as pouches.

What are the tubes/vents on his back and straps from armpit to stomach doing? 

You do have some great design choices in and overall the forms work well together, it's just those things I've mentioned that let the design down imo.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling wise nice work, but the practicalities of the design has some flaws. The torso armour/thigh pieces would make it incredibly difficult to move comfortably and drastically limit movement. What are the thigh pieces supposed to function as? I presume armour as there's no space as pouches.

What are the tubes/vents on his back and straps from armpit to stomach doing? 

You do have some great design choices in and overall the forms work well together, it's just those things I've mentioned that let the design down imo.
    Thank you for the critique! I see your comments and they make total sense, his torso would make it pretty difficult to move, I think next time I will try and create a stretchy fabric type of material in the areas of the torso that should bend.

The idea with the tubes is that its sort of a exhaust vent for the back engines, it's sort of a concept I took from Titanfall that allows wall running. As for the straps on the front, I intend to put 2 magazines for an assault rifle on each side and they will clip onto that strap.

Again thank you for the input! I will definitely try and think more about functionality in the future!
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been really busy with work lately so my progress has been really slow. But I finally have the bakes finished and I started doing some quick block ins to get an idea of what I want the character to look like. The shiny black parts haven't been touched at all yet, just a default I have on those parts.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to rework the entire blockout because I wasn't happy with the color scheme, changed to a cooler palette.

Right off the bat I want to rework some of the painted armour metal, I like the colour but it's a bit too shiny for what I want. I think Im going to make it a much rougher and less clean metal. Also Im going to try and do a paintover to add some smaller details and saturated colours.

• apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished the model! Took much longer then expected but I'm happy with the end result. Critique is always welcome!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GXd4z1