Home Technical Talk

Is it possible to achieve this knitted design in zbrush with IMM curve / nanomesh?

Hi,

I'm trying to do a knitted model of an animal and came across this model of a bunny:

Would it be possible to use an IMM curve brush or nanonmesh to do it in zbrush?

I've seen knitting imm brushes, but the strands are not interlocked the way the bunny is above. I would like it so it's all interlocked. Is this achievable?

If there is an easier or better way of doing it I would love to know also.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I would use a tiling displacement map. You will need a clean, evenly quaded topology, and good UVs are the key to a good result.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Sure it's achievable with zbrush.

The individual strands are no different than making an IMM rope brush, which there are several youtube tutorials showing how to do. From there it's just a matter of experimentation... lots of routes you could try.

Build an individual piece, bake it down, tile that into a tileable displacement map. Then you got to be smart with your UV's to get the flow you need.

Or you could try nanomesh, which might be more involved but may give you better control. You'd need your topology loops flowing in the correct way.

In either of these cases you may need a proxy mesh for doing the work.
  • frankthetank007
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I ended up creating an IMM brush which I then used for the nanomesh. I split it into two parts, the top loop and the bottom loop. I then added them both to the same nanomesh and just changed the y offset to move one of them down a bit. Its not perfect, but its close enough I would say.

The only issue I have now is on the right hand side there is a very slight gap between pieces.