Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How close am I to getting a Junior 3D artist job?

Hi. I've been modeling weapons for about 2 years now and I really want to know whether my skill level is good enough to land a junior 3d artist job (heck even intern) in an average or better than average studio? If not, when will I know I am ready or will I just keep on improving my skills blindly like I have been doing all this time lol?
Here's my portfolio, thank you.
https://www.artstation.com/cryptex

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I think you're ready.

Jusut need to make your work stand out in other ways as a whole.  Like choosing more interesting, outlandish designs perhaps?
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Hey Brian! Long time no see! How ya been!? Sorry Cryptex! Your stuff is looking good! It shows you got the basics down, and you can make appealing assets. Now you just need one or two pieces that show....this is what I can make if I wasn't told what to do! This is me! This is what I can offer. Something stylized, something modeled from an artist you really admire (concept artist), something that tells a story about something or about you. You need those few images that say something about you.
  • cryptex97
    Thanks alot for the advice @pixelpatron @Brian "Panda" Choi
     ! I think I know what you guys mean  by making something unique which I can own. But the question is, do you guys want me to make an environment or a prop? I think I am better at making props and weapons but I do know how to make environments as well, its just that I didn't get the time to make an environment of that quality yet, but I will do if I have to. And correct me if I am wrong, studios prefer people who are specialized in a certain tasks right? For example, for a prop artist his/her portfolio must have a lot of props, and for environment artists, he/she must have environments in his/her portfolio right?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Environment.

Shows your breadth at this point
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The bigger the studio the more specialized people are. The Glock and foliage on your artstation are pretty nice, you might get a job with these assets depending on where you live and what studios you contact, for the bigger ones you will need more quality assets like the Glock you made. Don't improve your skills blindly look at what you need to get where you want to be. If you plan to create an environment you could also create one that has weapons in it if you like creating weapons.
  • cryptex97
    Noted down!  Yeah I will plan my way a bit better from this time on :P 
    I really like Uncharted 4's forest scene, so I think I'll go for an environment like that with some Mayan temple mix. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going to do a Mayan temple, amke it well designed.