Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Rowan - Games Art Project [WIP]

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
LouisStelfox polycounter lvl 4
Rowan is a pursuit based RPG, where the player must catch criminals that threaten the peace of the empire. You chase and catch criminals by moving through the environment, quickly dodging incoming objects and enemies.

Team:

Louis Stelfox – Art Director/Lead Environment (https://www.artstation.com/louisstelfox)
Bethany Fox – Environment/Props (https://www.artstation.com/hixalupa)
Owen O’Hara – Character Artist
Amelia Tzemis – Character/Concept Artist (https://www.artstation.com/faunwithafez)
Adam Souster – FX/Particles/Lighting (https://www.artstation.com/adamsouster)

Freelance:

Viltė Bendžiūtė – Concept Art/Animation (https://www.artstation.com/vilteben)
Dominik Nankivell – Concept Art

The Project:

We want to create a combination of an environment fly through and a gameplay walkthrough that transitions between day and night through a cinematic trailer. We will include a monologue over the top of the trailer to add exposition to the story. We want to have a moving player character that can walk around the environment, but our primary focus is creating stunning characters and environments.

Narrative Synopsis:

Our protagonist (Rowan) is sent to the city of Connacates on request of the Duke of Bellona (the ruler of Connacates) to recover a royal jewel stolen from the family. A festival is taking place towards the richer district of the city as the streets start to become barren, but dark forces lurk in the shadows ready to execute a sinister plan of reviving the wildebeest.

General Moodboard:
fIDOsuZjpg

Style Reference:

Initial Environment Concepts:

kt8qwjlpng

Viltė Bendžiūtė

Environment blockout so far (Plus props):

We primarily referenced Venitian architecture for the houses and Roman architecture for some of the older structures such as the aqueducts because we were inspired by games such as Assassins Creed II and how they handle combat and moving through the environment. We want it to be semi-realistic with some stylised elements in, mainly through the forms and textures. We have a finished Wildebeest skull (Beth) that needs some vertex painting to blend in with the environment, along with some textures made in SD (Louis).

N4S3NhapngBA5ZqR5pngF6Uz2eKpng

Well Prop (Beth):

(Password: rowan)

Characters:

We were heavily inspired by the premise of Puss and Boots for this project so we have channelled this into our design for the protagonist. We wanted a blend between some western elements like the poncho, along with the Italian themes we are using for the environment, so that the character feels like an outsider rather than part of the city. With the antagonist, we referenced shaman and cult robes for the design so he looks like a rebel and a contrast to the citizens of Connacates. We have plans to do a guard character if time permits so the audience can see what the inhabitants of Connacates look like.

Amelia Tzemis

zIncKVgpng

Owen O'Hara

Our project is still very much in early days so any feedback or cit is much welcome :) We are also looking for a dedicated rigger and any character artists interested in creating some background characters. If anyone is interested email: louisstelfox@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you! :)

Replies

• ProtozoanOwen

HELLO WORLD!!!
    I'm currently working on the main antagonist.
    What I am about to show you is definitely WIP but feedback is always appreciated.
    These models aren't very detailed as they will be retopologised before sculpting all the finer detail.

So first, I'll show off the clothing concepts I did. They're quick and dirty, but they work.

We all kinda agreed that the 4th one was the best. It was a mixture of drawing 2 and 3 and it just looked cool but not overly complicated to the point no one can understand it. Having the arm chopped off could have been very cool but it just doesn't work into the story too well.

After that, I did a couple of versions of the warthog head. Here's the first one.

Here's the second version:

Finally, here's the third version of the warthog head. This one is the best in my opinion.

Then I made the body. I'm still deciding between two body types. Probably going to go with the second one.

Body type 2:

As you can see the model still needs a lot of work, but we're getting there. I should have the body shape finished very soon.

We did find an interesting piece of concept art on Google that we may use for the hands. What do you guys think?

As always, thanks for any given feedback.

• LouisStelfox
    Offline / Send Message
    After battling a while with how best to efficiently texture the buildings for our scene, I've managed to put together a working modular kit that just needs some more tests to make sure that It can create the building shapes we want. I placed a couple round the scene with some very WIP textures just to get a feel for what the city might look like, colour and form wise. At the moment I have the walls and larger props as tilables (brick and concrete), while the windows and eventually the doors will be custom textured and baked inside SP (so I'll have 6 maps for the buildings props). I had a go at creating a trim sheet for a large majority of these props but the result still looked really low poly but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for texturing modular buildings cause I want it to be as optimised as possible.

Also I created some decals out of the graffiti Vilté made and scattered them around to see what they'd look like  Adam has also been pushing the lighting for the scene so its looking much better now.

• HixaLupa
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    Blue set of awnings are done, working on orange set now but they're placed in the scene and looking pretty nice!

Here's a turnaround of one of the larger ones

• LouisStelfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought it would be cool to show off the city more now that the modular kit is starting to come togather :) 

I've started to scatter the buildings around the scene while reworking the lighting a bit. Some of the windows light maps are a bit broken at the moment and they all still need to be worked in with vertex painting but any C&C is much appreciated . The kit is fully modular in UE4 so I'm gonna take some time to create a load of house variations so the city feels a bit more alive and diverse. 

The colours of the building are randomised based on its world position (special thanks to Will for helping me getting it to work) between a hue range so there are no greens, but I'm gonna try and tweak the range so we're only getting reds, yellows and blue. Adam has been working on some confetti which you might see scattered around but we're gonna try and tone that down a bit.

We also have some low poly foliage for the rest of the environment created by Adam :)

• HixaLupa
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    Plus a sexy shot of the skull and ribs with new textures on

• HixaLupa
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    It's been a while polycount! We're still working away at this project, and just submitted for Beta- just 1 month left!
    Here's a barrage of images showing what I've completed in this time and a link to the Beta submission video on vimeo :)
    Some market stalls assembled from the planks that made the awnings too:

The well in the centre of Connacates:

Several meats and cheeses to populate the markets with, featuring SSS. I'm pretty pleased with these, everyone says looking at them makes them hungry! I think I stayed close to the references I used:
    Have a look at the SSS on the edges of the cut cheese and some soft red patches on the dried meats. Below as well the pink pig trotters.

I've also modelled a bell for the city, I will add this soon!

• HixaLupa
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    Some photos of where the whole city is at

The bell model:

• Necrodark
    Offline / Send Message
    Necrodark polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking amazing, I love the colors and lighting! reminds me of sly cooper.
  • HixaLupa
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    Its been a while but we submitted this week!
    Here's the whole trailer!