Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Chris Guest

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Quady14 polycounter lvl 6
Hey there, I'm Chris, I'm a 3D Artist, focused on Character Design and in my last semester of school, currently working on my Senior Thesis project: A gallery of animations for two 3D fighting game character that have been modeled, unwrapped, textured, rigged and animated by me. Here's my current WIP and second character for the project, Ish Tarkous, not yet animated but just about ready after some weight painting. She's a gun-wielding mercenary who is reckless yet effective, rushing enemies with quick, aggressive strikes mixed with concussive blasts from her pulse rifle:

UV Map Sample (Main Body)

Pixel Art Concepts (left: 2016, right: 2017)

I started college back around late 2012 in an Interactive Multimedia major, but my first college only got me as far as a very basic understanding of ZBrush, and was way expensive, I ended up dropping post-Sophomore year. For the record, I spent some time reading several of the college degree topics archived here before going ahead to post this, and yes, that wound's feeling pretty fresh now. :neutral:

Finally just last year after a lot of bouncing between work and school, I was introduced to Maya, and I'm so happy to finally know it. It feels right, this is what I've wanted to do since 2012, to create characters and creatures and bring them to life. The two courses I took on the program were invaluable to learn the basics, but sadly 3D course subject offerings didn't go far beyond those two. As a transfer student, I find myself now in my final semester, wondering what the hell I'm going to do for my final presentation. So, I'm making a sketchbook on Polycount, because if you'll have me, I'd like this to be the hard schoolin' that my regular schoolin' couldn't give me. Whether it happens in time for May's Senior Showcase, I just want to get my direction righted so I can continue to improve post-graduation.

So, that's the deal. For the record, critique is very desired. Let me have it! I know I'm not doing terribly well, not even passable really. There's no polish at all, and it would be really generous to say I have any sort of decent workflow. Of the processes I've worked with thus far, I'm pretty happy doing UVs and rigging, though I lack in both areas and there's a whole lot more I could learn about each. Meanwhile, here's some characters I designed for previous projects, plus some animation samples:

Flipmush

Mohm

Mohm Plucking Flipmush

The Horror (1st Senior Thesis Project Character)

The Horror Animation Highlights (Horror is a shapeshifter, and can stretch and manipulate his body to assist in battle and baffle foes)

So, that's what I've got. It's a start, but I definitely want to improve and start observing better practices. So until then... Uh...