Home Technical Talk

New monitors with strange tinting behavior

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
Hey all,

I'm back for some more tech support. More 3D artists seem like a good direction to try next since you all work in similar software and hardware.

I just bought two new Dell U2417H InfinityEdge monitors at work when they were on sale. Both showed up and look great. The minimal bezel is awesome. But, I'm having problems with their performance that I can't seem to find anyone else having online. The problem is narrowing down exactly what is causing the issue; the monitors, the video cards, Windows 10 ver 1809, or the Nvidia drivers.

- (2) Nvidia Titan X Pascal in SLI updated to 418.81 drivers
- Windows 10 version 1809
- (2) Dell U2417H monitors connected to card 1 via the displayPort to micro displayPort cables provided by Dell

The problem is that in certain circumstances my screen is tinting. More accurately, it looks like a temperature shift or jumping to a different display preset, but that's a guess. I've noticed most while working in Photoshop and 3ds Max. It's not just affecting the canvas or 3D viewport, when it happens, it's tinting the entire screen; menus, borders, and all. If the program window is not maximized, it's also affecting the desktop.

Troubleshooting steps I've taken so far:
- Plugged laptop into monitor to test a different input source = same result (laptop on its own display was not showing the color shift, just the external monitor)
- Tried HDMI instead of displayPort = same result
- Tried video card 2 instead of 1 = same result
- Removed a card and disabled SLI = = same result
- Each video card by itself = same result
- Tried with and without Dell display driver installed = same result

Here are a couple of GIFs showing the shift in action:

If anyone has any ideas on what to try before I cave in and wait on the phone for Dell, I would greatly appreciate it. Since it's two monitors behaving the same, I'm reluctant to believe it's a hardware problem. But, with the laptop behaving the same way as my tower, it doesn't feel software related either. I'm at a total loss.

Thanks,
Adam

Replies

• sulky
    Offline / Send Message
    sulky polycounter lvl 7
    Monitor option maybe ? Some dynamic colours/tint thing ?
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yes seems like it can only be the monitor. Why are all those companies so imaginative at putting the worst marketing bullshit "smart" "user friendly" options, filters, 100hz shit, on by default of course. It's everywhere now, and getting worse. You have to spend hours between software and hardware to get something usable. I'm pissed off just reading this lulz.
  • avenali312
    Offline / Send Message
    sulky said:
    Monitor option maybe ? Some dynamic colours/tint thing ?
    This was my initial thought as well, but I can find nothing in the manual related to anything "dynamic" or "adaptive" or anything. It's mind boggling.
    Noors said:
    Yes seems like it can only be the monitor. Why are all those companies so imaginative at putting the worst marketing bullshit "smart" "user friendly" options, filters, 100hz shit, on by default of course. It's everywhere now, and getting worse. You have to spend hours between software and hardware to get something usable. I'm pissed off just reading this lulz.
    Agreed. I have it stripped down now without the Dell driver or Dell Display Manager software so it's essentially just a plug-and-play monitor, but it's still doing it. I'm hoping that can only leave the hardware menu which I'm going to have to go through with a fine tooth comb today.
  • avenali312
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone on the Nvidia forum did point out that there is a "dynamic contrast" setting in the menu,  but it's only exposed if you're using the Game or Movie preset, which I am not. I went through and turned it off anyway. Same issue is still present.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Well did you try with an other monitor ?
    On my Dell monitor menu, i have under the color settings tab a "mode selection" set to Graphics. If it set it to "Video", it looks like i have a dynamic adjustement.
  • avenali312
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors said:
    Well did you try with an other monitor ?
    On my Dell monitor menu, i have under the color settings tab a "mode selection" set to Graphics. If it set it to "Video", it looks like i have a dynamic adjustement.
    Confirmed that this is not an issue on a separate monitor (Dell E2417H) running to the same displayPort in the same video card with the same drivers and configuration.