Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Midnight Ride - my Synthwave inspired entry to the X-TAON Art Car competition

node
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLMchs1sCaU

Hi all, 

This was my entry for the X-TAON Art Car texturing competition run by Allegorithmic. I was super happy to be awarded "Best Storytelling" and a shiny RTX 2080 for my troubles. 

My theme for the art car entry was based on the node graph in Substance Designer - how any one node in the substance graph can be used to create an explosion of art and creativity. I textured the car in Substance Painter while live linked to UE4. I then created a short video shot in sequencer to showcase Midnight. Along the way I created a Contour Lines filter in Designer which you can download on Substance Share or my Gumroad for free and use in either Painter or Designer. 

I wrote a more in depth breakdown for 80 Level where I talk about lighting and describe my workflow.
You can read the article here if you're interested.  

I felt like i learned a lot about lighting shiny objects like cars on this project. I ended up doing research on how car photographers get the most out of cars and even built a Cyclorama. I also got caught up in a messy Painter scene which I eventually binned and learned some good practices for scene organisation when dealing with multiple texture sets.

I hope you enjoy the result and p
lease feel free to throw any thoughts, suggestions or questions my way :)

4K Midnight Ride wallpapers

Midnight Ride on my ArtStation