Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bad Max

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Vexod14 polycounter
A character done for an art test in 3 days from scratch ( based on a conceptart I didn't do this time ^^) 
I really enjoyed the sculpt part of the process, going back on anatomy (I hesitated to start from one of my basemeshes, but I would have learned less things). And I think it's a good thing to see how fast I can actually get a character done, it will helps estimate each step's timings better on the next one =) 
Sculpt made on ZBrush 
Retopo + UV on 3dsmax 
Textures on 3DCoat - Diffuse + SpecularColor/Glossiness (stored alpha channel). 2048px reduced to 512px due to model's polycount 
Texturing was based on normalmap/curvature/AO/ID bakes (done with Marmoset 3), then mixed/painted textures with 3DCoat

Viewers and whole project here : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gJ9wYP

Des Bisous !

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Maaaang this is clean as all hell. So nice! Such a nice combination of soft and planar forms. My only feedback is that the lighting looks a little blown out on the pec in your presentation shot, and the harsh shadows are causing the feet to feel super boxy

Looks great and you should be proud of this dude!
  • Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    OMG thank you so much for your feedbacks ! =O I'll fix these renders as soon as possible (maybe adding more fake shading and/or AO on the basecolor in the pec part could help improve the volume here, what do you think ?)

About the feet it's mostly due to the Vertex normal's setup, as far as I didn't had to give them a normalmap for the art test, but of course I've used one (better for curvature and essential for texturing I think), here is the BadMax with all usual PBR maps (Normal/AO/Metal/Rough/Basecolor) :

But yeah, this torso still had issue and looks too flat =/ (I really have to fix this)
  • Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    edited a few things based on @Lucas Annunziata feedbacks ;) So here come the full res asset : 

And here is the low (and final) one :

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking great dude! One last thing that I think could really help this shine if you want to stylistically add a gradient from feet to head  like this:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/101248/dota-2-art-guide-baking-a-gradient-mask

Just to darken up those legss a bit more. It's your call though
  • Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Good point ! (I didn't know the trick to perform a gradient using VNormals and a light, just seems logic once you take a look at it ^^ I've done this using 3DCoat Gradient tool and used that same gradient to calm down a little the metal/rough when it's darker)

Again, thanks a lot Lucas for your excellent feedbacks ! (I've updated all the stuff on the artstation project if you want to take a look on viewers)