Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Just noticed too, what the heck.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Seems you can edit your topics (the first post that created the thread), but not any replies (your posts in threads).
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Please bring edit back!!!!

I always cock up my posts when its past 11pm. When I read them back the next day I am not sure if they even qualify for English most of the time. :) 
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've notified the polycount gods and they're looking into it. Sit tight...

Edit test Joe is the best.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The important thing is I can edit all of your posts. I AM THE EDIT MASTER.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Just trying to make us look like the fools we are. Damn these sausage fingers
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Bring back edit.  As well as the ability to delete posts. 
    Edit is back.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did we used to have delete? I don't remember it, but doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

Generally I think delete is a bad idea. Really fucks up continuity in a thread. It's a forum after all, discussion is King. Editing alone is pretty strong. When someone blanks their posts in a fit, it's always bad.

But it's a pita when there's a time-out or limit, and you can't edit something you posted. So, we have always-edit enabled, for everyone.

We do honor most requests when people email helpdesk to ask us to remove topics, or delete their account. I think the extra moderator gate is generally a good thing. The idea is to stop and think a little, before you trash something.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Did we used to have delete? I don't remember it, but doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

Generally I think delete is a bad idea. Really fucks up continuity in a thread. It's a forum after all, discussion is King. Editing alone is pretty strong. When someone blanks their posts in a fit, it's always bad.

To be honest?

I remember on more than one occasion I failed job interviews back in 2006 for stuff I had posted on Polycount.

It remember it was just recounting a story of a sociopath I once worked with which I thought would be informative, but several recruiters felt painted me in a bad light.

Since then I've combed through my entire post history, and deleted anything that might be considered mildly opinionated.

I'm sure glad I did. Lest I get "James Gunn'd" and fired for shit I said 12 years ago.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount did used to be more free-flowing, non politically correct, more potty mouthed. 

But as it increased in popularity, we saw more eyeballs here. We've also matured as individuals, realizing this is a public forum directly related to our jobs.

So we've adjusted our site rules, code of conduct, etc. to match.

You've experienced directly the contradiction inherent in a social site that also caters to a professional crowd. You want work contacts here? OK, but then you can't also have unprofessional talk in the same place.

Some people have lamented the changes. They preferred the more free wheeling days. But it's different for a reason, and I embrace it. It's a good thing to be aware of professionalism, the impact of our communications on others.

You can't really have it both ways. Does it stifle communication? Sure, but there's a clear benefit to it.

Anyhow, kind of off topic, sorry. I still don't think we want to have people deleting posts. Just think about what you're going to post, before posting it.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    How do we know where the line is? Especially for the hobbyist with no experience in this particular industry? It is hard to know how people will respond to something, especially if you don't know the crowd in real life.

Especially when it comes to critiques of artwork, it seems like people are afraid to speak up sometimes. Or maybe they feel like they can only critique downwards, and they also think they are beneath everybody else. I think it's good to write critiques not just for the benefit of the person you are trying to help, but it also allows you to test your ideas against the community. You'd hope that if what you are saying is totally out there, somebody would question it. But does that really happen? Do people get upset about that sort of thing?

And should we not have potty mouths?
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I feel like critiques suffer from a different form of either self-censorship or have a weird stigma about the way they are  'supposed' to be conducted. I've not seen a critique on this site get out of hand by any means if the person receiving it doesn't some how lash out at their critics. 

For other things though I feel like not many care about cursing and the like, as it happens in business all the time. But if you go over to the IQ thread I'm sure you remember that nonsense BIGTIME. That kind of stuff happens and I'm sure no one really wants that. As far as everything else goes when posting any where on line it falls under:
    Image result for common sense

Just as you probably shouldn't run into your new job and yell, "Sup fuckers!" you probably shouldn't do that to any new community.

I do agree that critiques need to be viewed differently being negative about someone being new at something is not bad and doesn't kill their drive. So long as it is actually constructive critique and not just trolling.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's the thing -- threads like the IQ thing. Or the Battlefield 5 thread. To me, it's just like water cooler banter. I don't have anywhere else to talk about this sort of thing so I do it here. Obviously some people are more involved in it and thus they can get pretty upset about it -- and of course if I was at a place of work I wouldn't be shooting the shit about stuff like this, I'd be busy working and saving that stuff for later. But like, should we just not talk about anything which has the potential to be controversial? Should this be considered a place of work?
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I think for the forum, just because it is an incredibly public place and has become a big thing that people look at I conduct myself as such. I've got really no need to post publicly what weird things pop into my head. I think things being DM'ed is fine or utilizing Discords is a bit of a more casual experience as well. 

In most cases the water cooler banter only happens between friends and good associates and isn't really something that occurs all the time either. Definitely don't leave your personality on the cutting room floor and cater to those that get offended by everything. Just a healthy balance like all good things. Which is unfortunately as gray as it can be lol. But that's just the nature of dealing with the public and with people.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that all makes sense, thanks.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount did used to be more free-flowing, non politically correct, more potty mouthed.
    The games industry used to be more free-flowing, non politically correct, more potty mouthed. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

I'm still learning too engage my brain before hitting "POST REPLY" hence a reliance on the Edit icon or for 'moi appropriately enough, arse saver?! 

• Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    zachagreg said:

Just as you probably shouldn't run into your new job and yell, "Sup fuckers!" you probably shouldn't do that to any new community.

This is how I greet my family every Thanksgiving after not seeing them for a year. Boy do I feel silly, now.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Spag_Eddy said:
    zachagreg said:

This is how I greet my family every Thanksgiving after not seeing them for a year. Boy do I feel silly, now.
    You should, only gray responses and familial gestures from now on. The accepted greetings are, "Hello Father Unit/Mother Unit. "Hello eye that floats unblinking, silent and untethered from time."

(source from Illictic on Tumblr https://www.tumblr.com/search/illicticsart)

"The more gray and verbose the more professional" -Some person on LinkedIn probs

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You can't post ill-manner thought that could be used against you in the future... if you don't post at all.

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I remember on more than one occasion I failed job interviews back in 2006 for stuff I had posted on Polycount.
    That's winning not failing, who wants to work for someone fragile enough to trawl post histories looking for problems. That kind of person will be a headache to work with, probably a neurotic control freak with no grip strength, no scapular mobility. Why make someone the boss of your income who wont even ride for you when it comes to something as meaningless as posting? I would walk out of the interview the second it came up. 

Apply this same logic to anything else, gonna date someone who goes through all your social accounts? Just digging for problems? No thanks. I aint ever editing another gotdamnd post in my life. These gems are timeless classics 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kind of how i feel too. I don't want to work for someone with low grip strength. :)

however, if you are a noob trying to break into the industry, it would suck to miss a good opportunity. also, aren't the people hiring not always the same you will be working with? some places i've worked before had a dude just for hiring. wasn't even a huge company or anything.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, companies often use recruiters to weed applicants.

That's a gate you do need to learn how to navigate, when you're just starting out. Unfortunate but true.

Best way to minimize contact with them is to develop contacts with the actual art team, especially the art leaders. They're the ones making the hiring decisions. Recruiters are just a gate to thread.

Reach out directly on LinkedIn, Polycount, Artstation, etc. Just make sure to do your homework. Don't waste their time.

Put lots of info about this on the wiki. Use it!
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    That's winning not failing, who wants to work for someone fragile enough to trawl post histories looking for problems. That kind of person will be a headache to work with, probably a neurotic control freak with no grip strength, no scapular mobility. Why make someone the boss of your income who wont even ride for you when it comes to something as meaningless as posting? I would walk out of the interview the second it came up. 
    I'm pretty sure it's every studio now.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @JacqueChoi
    I lost a job offer because I posted a reddit post about my anxiety about moving to X city,  looking for local information and pros and cons.  Right after uni.
    Not doing that again  :/
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure that was the reason? I would never reject a hire because of a post like that.