Home General Discussion

Any of you use HUION brand Screen Tablet instead of Wacom CINTIQ? Thoughts?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I'm about to do some big purchase here. I've been saving months for this and have a budget ranging from 1000$ to 2000$.

I'm buying a Screen Tablet...

And thank god, Wacom doesn't hold complete control over the tablet as they used to. With new competitors, HUION, XP-Pen and Gaomon, there's a new very diverse range of price withing affordable range.

So here's what I wanted to buy at first:
https://www.amazon.ca/Drawing-HUION-Customized-Pressure-GT-221PRO/dp/B0721Q6PM8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549563956&sr=1-1&keywords=huion+gt221

It used to cost in the four digits but now has lowered to 800 ish because a new model came out...

https://www.amazon.ca/Drawing-Monitor-HUION-Battery-Free-Pressure/dp/B07FQMJKWC/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07FQMJKWC&pd_rd_r=d61f7fc6-2b05-11e9-8f40-c17d5812f01a&pd_rd_w=unyQt&pd_rd_wg=UeqE1&pf_rd_p=5dcda75b-8643-4da3-9bb1-5c0233790500&pf_rd_r=8N985C0GKGD10RQ2VPNX&psc=1&refRID=8N985C0GKGD10RQ2VPNX

Now I'm thinking about buying this new model.

Here's my requirements:

8192 pen-pressure level
Anti-Glare Screen (very important)
Good color display

Edit*= A 22 inch display...?

And that`'s pretty much it. It`s mostly used for 2D animation so lots of drawing and sketching on them. Any one have experience with them? 

Replies

• BrandonBerryCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrandonBerryCG polycounter lvl 6

I had a friend purchase a Huion a year or so ago. While not those exact models, it worked great in terms of hardware. However there were some very annoying and persistent driver issues that caused them to repeatedly restart the computer and the software wasn't that great either. I own an older cintiq and I honestly feel like its worth the extra amount of money, also it will probably be a lot easier to sell and hold its value more if you decide to upgrade or get rid of it.

Just my two cents! Good luck!

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    So far I have tried 2 different non wacom brands, and have been disappointing every time. The biggest issues are almost always 1) the drivers and 2) the pens themselves.

Its probably better just to get a Wacom. If 16 inches isnt too small for you, wacom has a new model around the same price as that 20 inch Huion.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Wacom is selling a 16 inch for $650 USD now.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used a small Huion for about six months.  It was ok.  The pen feels kind of flimsy but it did the job.  It was about $100 vs $400 for a Wacom.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Darn it! I did not expect such a strong consensus in favor of Wacom. I guess that`' what happens when you ask actual professionals and not your hobbyist friends who swears Wacoms are overpriced and Huion offers the same quality...-_-

Reconsidering my choices now..

@Brian "Panda" Choi

Iit`s actually over 800 bucks in Canadians Dollars...

https://www.amazon.ca/Wacom-Cintiq-Display-Monitor-DTK1660K0A/dp/B07L77GTTY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Wacom+Cintiq+16+Pen+Display&qid=1549578511&sr=8-1

Looks great but I really wanted a 22 inch display. I really enjoy having a large drawing surface...
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    look into refurbished waccoms as well. they come with a warranty usually but will be a lot cheaper.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    22inch is not necessarily a big drawing surface, considering that it is probably a 16/9 format and you'll only ever use the center square. I've actually tested this on my 21UX (which is 4/3 already), by taping off the sides of the screen to see what I actually use. Turns out my actual useful drawing surface is more or less 30cm wide by 32cm tall.

I'd say get a used 21UX (black, not grey) for under 500USD, and the cheapest chinese equivalent as a backup unit.

Also call the Wacom customer support (as in, really calling them, or at the very least emailing their support center - as opposed to posting on the forums, which is useless) to know how much it will cost you to replace the digitizer panel - and/or to know if they have the parts available. Had it done once on mine - the digitizer panel itself is a 280Euros part, and adding labor and shipping it made for a 414Euros repair. Well worth it considering daily use over many years.

Also - levels of pressure are absolutely not a valid metric. The pressure response of a good quality Wacom tablet from decades ago with only 512 levels can outperform a tablet with gazillions supposed levels.

If anything, the most important thing you need to check is the return policy of the seller you get the tablet from. Chinese brand models are usually super easy to return since they care more about their ebay/amazon ratings and accept returns at a very small restocking fee, or even for free. Whereas Wacom is a pain in the ass in that regard, arguing that dead pixels are not a defect under a certain number, and so on. So if you ever buy a new Wacom, do not buy it from their online store but rather from a reseller with a "no questions asked" return policy.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Center square on a 16incher widescreen : 19cm
    Center square on a 22incher widescreen : 27.5cm
    Center square on 21incher 4/3 : 33cm
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Do you really need a fancy tablet ?
    With your budget you could buy giant monitor that can be placed 2-3m away from your eyes and regular wacom tablet
    I am currently owning wacom intuos pro and all the scratch marks from the pan are in the middle in 2-3 cm radius so the smaller you get the better the rest is waste of space
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @carvuliero -  Well, that's hardly relevant isn't it ? If he's looking for a display tablet, then he's looking for a display tablet...

Imho for display tablets size *does* matter. The big ones are way too big indeed, but I personally find the 16inchers and under to be way too cramped to be workable (used one for two weeks straight and it was a pain).

I do understand that some claim that one type is better than one than the other (display or regular) - but the truth is, both are advantages and flaws. I went back and forth between the two over the years and imho the only good solution is to have both at the same time : display type for lineart, and regular tablet type for painting/brush-heavy rendering. If they are from the same era/gen they will coexist fine driver-wise.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not money hasn't been spend yet right, there is time to explore different options and isn't it that the whole idea of asking questions on the forum -> to get different options you wont think of yourself in the first place
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I can also confirm that the Huion drivers are bad, even on the newest models.
    I'd recommend the new cheaper 16-inch Brian mentioned. I get by fine even with my 13-inch after adjusting my ZBrush UI to fit, and the touch controls on more expensive versions are nothing but a liability.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Carv, I guess you're correct ... I suppose I am simply assuming that anyone willing to shell out 2000USD on electronics, very likely tried the cheaper 50USD option thoroughly already ! But I guess it's not necessarily the case, true enough.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My points its not about the money here , money is completely irreverent . I rather be as far as I can from a giant monitor not only for my eyes sake but on top of that this thing emit electormagnetic radiation which more or less affect your own magnetic fiend 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are missing my point. My point is : if someone is in a position to chose between a 2000USD device and 50USD device (regardless of health benefits/hazards), it would be foolish to make the decision without first getting ones hands on the 50USD option. Therefore I assume that the OP did. If he didn't, then of course that's the first thing he should do.

Also, who knows about "radiations" - carpal tunnel damage from cramping on a tablet all day is just as real :)

Bottom line : of course OP should try both, while making sure to have the option to return/get refunded without hassle. It's also good to keep in mind that none of these devices are be-all end-all - they all are one order of magnitude less accurate than real pen and paper. Thinking of it that way allows to keep expectations low, which is always healthy.

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    @pior
    @carvuliero

Thank you both for your concerns. It's been well since high school that i've used graphic tablets (not the screen type) and god knows how hard I tried to adjust myself using one but the act of not drawing directly on screen, drawing something on a surface and having to look at another one to see the live result is very unconfrotable to me, I keep on undoing and redoiing line art whenever I draw stuff.

I used to have a wacom bamboo and then a Huion grpahic tablet, while they both worked, I think it's time for me to upgrade.

I'm very willing to spend that money on the Cintiq 16 now but damn, Wacom is kinda cheap on that offer, no stand, no glove, no extra nib, no nothing that comes with this tablet.

Huions always offer those extra things...
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Alirhgt, I'm buying and making my choice this week!
    If anyone has any more suggestions, I'm willing to hear.

Stonrgly considering that 800CAD cintiq nowé..
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    The Cintiq has a different feel to the Intous but I guess that's up to preference. It feels more like I'm drawing on paper for me when I use one. Depending on which Cintiq you buy you still get some parallax issues, but zooming in fixes it for me. I use my cintiq as a tablet, since I prefer to look at  a  21 inch screen while I draw and texture. I have a HD Cintiq, and love working on it.  I wanted the 16 inch one, I heard negative reviews on it. If you have an older computer you might have to invest on usb c cables to get it to work with your new Cintiq. It really depends on the model you get. The one annoyance of having a Cintiq is that it needs a lot of cables to make it work. It's not as portable as the tablets.