Home Career & Education

Coming back to 3D. Is it really for me?

Few years ago, I discovered 3D and started learning it. I studied for 2 months and made some simple 3D models (I am self-taught). After that I got a full time job that is not related to 3D. At first, I still make models whenever I get home from work making it my hobby. But then I got busy and I wasn’t able to make anything.

Now, I would like to start to learn 3D again and if possible make it a career. (I am thinking of becoming an environment or props artist).  But the thing is, I live in a place where there is less job opportunity related to 3D. Also, time and money is a factor, I am not getting any younger and I need to pay the bills.

Right now I am back to square one. Refreshing my knowledge in 3D and learning new things. I am currently learning how to sculpt in Zbrush.

My questions are:

If you were me, what would you do? How would you deal with the situation?

If I commit myself in studying and making my portfolio, how long do you think it would take to become employable?

Should I do it or keep it as my hobby?

BTW, this is my first post (yay!). I hope you can share some of your insights and experiences to help me decide on what to do. Thanks!

Replies

• lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    The Old - should I do it Question.....

I would say just do it - no one can answer your Question really since we arent you nor do we know you or your art.

Yes it's hard. Yes you will sacrifice fun time ( probably to an extent where you lose friends/family and even health sometimes ). If it's more then a hobby and a passion then go for it - if not there's your answer. ( From your Statement that you stopped the Hobby it doesn't sound like it tbh )

If moving is such a big concern here's your easy way - look for a Studio thats near you and just spend your next year/years doing what they do and then apply. Since you have been studying all year what they've been doing you should be a good Candidate to invite.

Just my Opinion. On a sidenote - try posting some stuff so we can see where you at - most people on this forum appreciate that.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
  • Wakizashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response!
    Oh thanks for this. I've just read a few post from the thread and yeah we're kinda on the same boat. I think the only difference is that I stopped for quite a while and I don't have a constant progress.

lucasz said:

Yes it's hard. Yes you will sacrifice fun time ( probably to an extent where you lose friends/family and even health sometimes ).
    - Well that's scary. I hope It doesn't have to go that far.
      You're right. I will just do it and give it a shot.

Yes, I think looking for a nearby studio is an option for me but in case this doesn't work, is it possible to do paid work online even if I don't have relevant experience and just a portfolio? do companies do this?

As for my work, I don't have any recent one. These are from 3 to 4 years ago. (except for the JoyCon which I made late 2017)

This one's the latest. Trying out the brushes in zbrush and getting familiar with it. Zbrush is fun!

• Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    No one can really answer this for you, you kinda need to find out for yourself. The tools have improved quite drastically since last you were involved in the process, and it'd be worth your time to try some of them out, learn them, and try to figure out if it's something you enjoy enough to make the sacrifices necessary to reach that end goal. If you have enough passion for something, I'd think it's worth it in the end. I don't know where you live, but you can find a way to make it work if you're dedicated enough.

ZBrush is a good start, but for environment/prop art you will probably want to learn Maya or 3DS Max as hard surface modeling, at least in my opinion, is much more functional in those softwares. I mostly use ZBrush to add further refinement and detail to my high-poly meshes, and do everything else in good ole Maya. Up to you, though!

Give it a strong go, don't give up. Try to set a certain amount of time aside every day to jump in and model something. If after a while you still love it enough and you can envision your future self being happy doing it as a living, then keep going. It is a long, tedious process, and you do have to make sacrifices, but if you believe you can find happiness when all is said and done, then you will find a way to work through it. It will be overwhelming at numerous  different times, but don't let that be a roadblock. We all face it.

As far as places to learn/hone your skills, I'll toss out a few names:

Mike Hermes on Youtube (Maya)
    Gave Dev Academy on Youtube (Maya/Unreal)
    Flipped Normals on Youtube (Mostly ZBrush, some Maya stuff and other general advice regarding the 3D world which is helpful to any aspiring artist)
    Michael Pavlovich on Youtube (The ZBrush master!)
    Blender Guru on Youtube(I watch for all the helpful interviews he does with other artists in the industry. Gives a lot of good insight)
    Udemy.com (Tutorials that cost money, but they often go on sale and are super helpful and amazing!)

I don't know what your texturing background is, but I would strongly advise looking into Substance Painter. Once you get over the learning curve, it's a lot of fun, and makes texturing life a breeze. I do believe they still offer a 45-day(?) trial.

Interact with the community here. Look at other people's art on ArtStation and interact with them. Get involved. And try to have fun! 

Also, as a way to stay inspired/committed, r/Daily3D on Reddit is a great place for beginners. They have daily user-suggested art challenges that are simple and fun and a great way to hone your skills.

Good luck!
  • Wakizashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy said:

As far as places to learn/hone your skills, I'll toss out a few names:

Mike Hermes on Youtube (Maya)
    Gave Dev Academy on Youtube (Maya/Unreal)
    Flipped Normals on Youtube (Mostly ZBrush, some Maya stuff and other general advice regarding the 3D world which is helpful to any aspiring artist)
    Michael Pavlovich on Youtube (The ZBrush master!)
    Blender Guru on Youtube(I watch for all the helpful interviews he does with other artists in the industry. Gives a lot of good insight)
    Udemy.com (Tutorials that cost money, but they often go on sale and are super helpful and amazing!)

Thank you for sharing these online sources! I'm following the Intro to Zbrush part1 by Michael Pavlovich on youtube. Doing good so far! :)

The Daily3D on Reddit looks nice too. I might give it a try.
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Obviously it's never too late, but what's your motivation to make it into a career?

Currently the barrier of entry to learn is low which is great, teaching material is an abundance and we have plenty of viable software options.

On the flip side, the barrier of entry to get a job in the industry is generally high, perhaps due to competition.

Looking at your work, it seems you have solid modelling skills and an eye for scale/proportions which is great.

I say just keep at it and have fun with learning, if after a while you still have the buzz and you feel like a switch in your head has been activated to make it into a career then that would be the time to think seriously.