Home Career & Education

Internships that seek students

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
Taylor Brown ngon master
What is it with the majority of internship listings making it a requirement to be working towards a degree? Is it all about subsidies?

I get so excited jumping on indeed, reading through a post till I hit that dreaded requirement. It feels like a wall placed in front of self taught artists who don't have those opportunities.

Is it worth it to apply to these positions if you aren't in school? Do those apps just get tossed in the trash immediately?

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Taylor. With regards to jobs, don't think you need to meet every single requirement on a job posting in order to apply. Recruiters put high standards in there but don't really expect people to hit every single one of them. I'm not entirely sure if school is an actual requirement for an internship, they might just be putting that in there so people who have never touched a 3D program don't apply. I could be wrong though, I hope not.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I've heard the same thing about there being soft and hard requirements. I've just never heard anyone talk about the school req... I imagine there is money on the line due to it being a large time / resource investment and that there's some sort of State kickback to make it more palatable for companies.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It may be a legal thing, Taylor.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    I feel ya, man. I see a lot of internships out there, especially within the last month, but they all have that pesky requirement of needing to be a current/recent grad student. Given the supposed "having a degree doesn't really matter" nature of the field we are trying to get into, it always saddens the hell out of me, which leads to too much string cheese consumption to deal with my sadness.

I'm, a, uh...independent student? Or something. heheh.

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    How so?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    How so?
    if an internship is a needed thing in your studies, at least the company here is able to do it for free. if it is not, minimum wage has to be paid. dependent on the level of the intern that is quite a bit of money for no return.
    in general tho, if you are worth it and the company is looking for someone, i dont see an issue from a companies point of view.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I get a lot out of interacting with online communities but the appeal of an internship for me is being fully immersed in a creative space with more experienced artists. Even with the often solid advice I get here and elsewhere, the whole process to becoming a hireable artist can feel shrouded in shadows at times. No one in my life outside the computer has any knowledge or curiosity about this profession so it can get a little lonely at times. Money definitely matters in my situation (wife + daughter) but if I were able to get in to a studio, even for a few months, I'd just make it work for the sake of the experience. This has turned into a mopey vent now so back to my project!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    have you looked around to see if there is any environment artist doing twitch streams anything like that? maybe it cost a little money but that may be a way to get in touch with some working professionals and maybe you can get some burning questions answered that way as well.

for instance, georgian avasilcutei (character artist) does his work on a twitch stream almost daily. in addition to just watching and seeing how he works, he is usually answers questions and that has helped me understand how things beyond my little hole work. And it's only la very nominal fee to subscribe.. Probably (hopefully) there is some people like that doing something similar in your discipline. Not what you were askin but maybe it can help if nothing else.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @Neox that may be correct, but I feel up here in Canada it's not legal to do unpaid internships, yet a lot of places here still require you to be a student when applying for the internship.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @Neox that may be correct, but I feel up here in Canada it's not legal to do unpaid internships, yet a lot of places here still require you to be a student when applying for the internship.
    In Canada on the legal side, an internship needs to meet certain specific conditions for it to be without pay, i.e a training program, otherwise it is not legal and while you might be volunteering, CRA probably won't see it the same way if a company is making income/reports income during the tax year.

If you're in Canada, and especially in Toronto, there is a definite "collaboration" between game dev colleges and game studios. A lot of the teachers in these schools work at studios.

Every college in Toronto for instance has students working as interns for course credit in game studios on site, many colleges have incubator spaces for studios to work with students. The intention is for these studios to later employ the students full time, though that isn't always the case, and many startups belly up or their games just don't have that many sales.

Many of these studios receive grants from OMDC and CMF, I'm not entirely sure if the students see any of this money as employment income.

Again it really depends on the legal requirement.
    I have worked a freelance job while in game dev college where I was paid for the hours I worked while I was still in school..

But it is a known fact that a lot of the postings out there on site, including government employment boards and the sites of the studios themselves are there as a formality especially for the larger AAA studios, even if the positions do not exist/have already been filled internally.

It won't hurt to apply. More importantly be aware of the market.

If you have a large number for applicants for few positions including applicants that apply anyways with portfolios that are not ready, there's a good chance your application might never come up.

To work around this networking might help, going to industry events etc, again if a lot of others are attempting this, you're back to square one.
    Keep improving the portfolio though, it certainly pays off at the end, atleast in a freelance capacity.

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Personal opinion here and I could be completely wrong, but I think newcomers overrate internships. I think except for those who live in hubs with strong colleges-studio relationships internships are rare and by far not the standard way to get into the industry.

Also the whole 'mystic aura' about how to get in is a bit overblown. It comes down to quality of portfolio. Maybe in hubs knowing someone might get you some low key intern/junior position, but honestly, in most places you have such a huge pool of artists willing to relocate a company doesn't need to bother with beginner level portfolios. Also teaching someone the pipeline, put up a workstation, get the licenses,... too much costs for someone that needs to be taken by the hand. That's why interns are rarely needed, if there is not a cooperation with a school and the studio doesn't have a permanent/frequent set up for interns.

Junior level is not related to the art quality, but production experience. That's the key misunderstanding. Once your portfolio reaches production quality levels jobs will come as well - even if you don't have experience. Quality is high in demand from what I am seeing. The entry bar is just really high. I had a very, very hard time finding my job (1,5 years without even getting response letters) and now I have an AAA-studio knocking at my door to do some freelance stuff for them without even applying because someone recommended me, they checked my portfolio and the very same day they reached out. Up to last year I didn't even get a response when I applied there (by the way I even tried to get an internship there with no response).

So in other words, don't waste time seeking internships if they are not common in your area. No studio will bother helping you relocate for an internship and also they won't even take the time to consider you. If studies are required this means most probably its a legal requirement for them - most probably related to subsidies as incentive to even bother with interns. But anyhow none of this is a big bonus to get a job later on. It's not like in other fields where they have nothing else than a CV to get an idea about your skill level / knowledge. You are always applying with your portfolio - no short cuts around that for a serious position.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    In some European countries companies get funds when they give internships to students, they would not get the funds if they would take a self-tough artist, therefore the requirement.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Some things to keep in mind:

An internship doesn't always end up in being brought on full-time, or at all. It's likely the student will get that valuable work experience, or skills they wouldn't have in school and that's about it.

An internship isn't really a low barrier to entry - it can be highly competitive simply due to the nature of there being fewer internships available overall than a regular or junior position.