Home Career & Education

If you were me

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
HazeusView polycounter lvl 6
In June I will finally finish the university and graduate.
I studied in Academy of fine arts, but they didn't teach me anything about 3d and that's why I started studying alone, 5 years ago, following tutorials from time to time, and while I was studying for university (which steals 90% of my day) I improved little by little.

My dream is to work as a 3d character artist for AAA companies like Blizzard, or Riot Games! Who have very stylized characters, but to make the stylized I have to know how it works the real anatomy, right?
Trying to reproduce it, often I seem to move away from what I'm doing, and my attention falters, focusing too much in realistic and going into crisis!

1. How should I do?
I like both styles, realistic and stylized, but I still haven't found my way.

If you were me,
2. What would you do after June?
Assuming that I live in Italy, and I'd rather prefer not return to schools again, what would you advise me to do? 
Is there a daily "workout" that you suggest me to do? Some tutorials to repeat until nausea?
Any course (not too expensive) that will really help me?

I know that I don't spend enough time "training" myself,  that "Hard work beats talent", and that everything depends on me too..

(Only to show you my actual level, not for spam, this is my embarassing artstation profile)

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    So what did you actually learned at academy of art ?
  • HazeusView
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what did you actually learned at academy of art ?
    I studied modern and contemporary art mostly, photography, and things like this, but 3d it's not in the program
  • arnov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov polycounter lvl 4

1. How should I do?
    I like both styles, realistic and stylized, but I still haven't found my way.
    If you're interested in Blzzard or Riot then I guess you answered your question. I look at Blizzard work as inspiration and the quality I'm aiming for, but I wouldnt want to work there. There's lots of other studios and it doesnt have to be AAA.

If you were me,
    2. What would you do after June?
    Assuming that I live in Italy, and I'd rather prefer not return to schools again, what would you advise me to do? 
    Is there a daily "workout" that you suggest me to do? Some tutorials to repeat until nausea?
    Any course (not too expensive) that will really help me?
    I think you got higher chance getting hired as a prop artist (realistic), rather than stylized character artist. Might be wrong, but this is my plan - currently im working at realistic stuff, while learning stylized during my free time. 

EDIT: Just realized you had portfolio. I guess you should just keep working, post your WIPs and ask for feedback. Have you tried applying anywhere?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would figure out your goal, get a complete vision of it in your head and just go 100% all in on that. Start putting every spare minute you have into producing stylized characters that would fit in blizzard and riot games.

you need to keep in mind you are probably going to have to produce something like 30-50 characters over the next several years to get good enough to do it professionally, thats the part you never see behind pro's portfolios, all the old scrapped work they replaced with better models over the years.

trying to make realistic art you are not super passionate about is only taking time away from your end goal. I would say do what you are super into, and get good and the money will come, instead of trying to chase money and that first way to break in. best case you get stuck doing props and stuff you don't really enjoy and you then really have no time or extra energy to develop your character skills after an 8 hour creative day, worst case you hate your day to day and get burnt out super fast and bounce out of the industry 3 years in.

as for after june....I dont know your situation but if you live on your own, get the cheapest place you can stand to live in, get a job that pays you as much as possible for as little time required and pump all the spare time you can into producing new work. do that for 2 years and you will probably get a game art job along the way. just focus on getting really good and being consistent.
  • HazeusView
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really appreciate your sincere words, none of you talked about find another school more focused on this path but you talked about work harder and costantly in my spare time, thank you again

@arnov Why you wouldn't work for blizzard? Do you recommend to take a look to other? Ah, and I've never applied for a job
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @HazeusView
    Plenty of studios who do illustrative/stylized work for their games mostly.  MObile game studios, Respawn with Apex Legends, Nintendo, InXile Entertainment, etc.  Find the game art directions that are similar and track down those studios.

There's possibly several reasons to not work at Blizzard: lower pay for a position that gets paid more elsewhere, shipping a game every 6 years instead of 1-3 years, Orange County being the boring end of Southern California, hard to get promotions given top-heaviness of the studio, etc.

You're gonna go through a lot of learning by just applying to jobs.  I'd almost caution assume that you're gonna get a butt ton of rejections from the get go, especially if you don't have an art portfolio for games to begin with.
  • HazeusView
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HazeusView
    Plenty of studios who d⁶o illustrative/stylized work for their games mostly.  MObile game studios, Respawn with Apex Legends, Nintendo, InXile Entertainment, etc.  Find the game art directions that are similar and track down those studios.

There's possibly several reasons to not work at Blizzard: lower pay for a position that gets paid more elsewhere, shipping a game every 6 years instead of 1-3 years, Orange County being the boring end of Southern California, hard to get promotions given top-heaviness of the studio, etc.

You're gonna go through a lot of learning by just applying to jobs.  I'd almost caution assume that you're gonna get a butt ton of rejections from the get go, especially if you don't have an art portfolio for games to begin with.
    I didn't know all of this about Blizz, just realized that I am so ignorant about this arguments,  so if there are other advices and info, please let me know!

I know that I need to have a good art portfolio for games, and it's my actual main goal, it will took some time I guess
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What do you have right now?
  • HazeusView
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you asking for some pieces of my portfolio? Because I linked my (embarassing) artstation profile in my first message, it's in the spoiler tag! 

(If you can't find, I'm relinking below)

• HazeusView
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Don't know why my previous answer is disappeared, so I'm rewriting there:
    Are you asking for some pieces of my portfolio? Currently I wouldn't call it like that but in my first post, in the spoiler tag, there's my artstation profile.

if you can't find :