Home Technical Talk

why do I need two high-poly models?

suwhan
node
Offline / Send Message
suwhan node
Hello, everyone,

I've been watching tutorial videos (specifically Flipped normals retopology video and Gnomon Character Modeling for Production). 
Both the instruction in these videos reproject and create another high res model on ZBrush after retopo. 

My question is, why do you need to reproject and create another high poly model? You already have a high poly model from your original sculpt, is it make a lower poly high res model?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    You dont have todo that but it will make every change and update easier. In reality you need to fix/adjust the new low several times. If you change something on the new low the highres version does update automatically. 
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    On top of what oglu said it also often used to create a cleaner mesh with more even topology at a lower subdivision. Many times people will quickly rough out a character using dynamesh and other methods that can cause messy topology. Going through with zremeshing the model and then reprojecting the highpoly onto it will fix this issue. 

Then that cleaner low poly one can be adjusted to make a lowpoly if needed down the line
  • suwhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suwhan node
    So if I used a base mesh and my mesh is pretty clean after modeling in Zbrush, is this process not really necessary? 
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Pretty much yes, it's not necessary if you start from a clean point and maintain that cleanliness. The caveat is to make sure you are keeping your subdivision levels intact. 
  • suwhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suwhan node
    Alright, I  think I'm getting a better idea. Thanks so much!!