Home Technical Talk

FWVN - Modeling/Topo Shading Issues

Ginsplosion
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Ginsplosion polycounter lvl 2
I've started fleshing out our assets for said game project specifically some wall pieces and whether I use Max or Maya and whether its FBX/Obj and no matter how I fine tune the amount of smoothing groups I'm receiving several key problems that under mime the point of the FWVN SC/AI technique.

Honestly I've been battling with these issues for a while but figured in a professional environment I need to really get to the bottom of what is going wrong here.

Topology isn't by any means final but I can't be battling issues this bad on flat surfaces). All the geometry is planar on the surfaces, snapped everything to be certain nothing has slightly moved thus bending faces that are intended to be flat. Mesh cleanup results in no detected 'non-planar' faces on the side circled in red. To be sure of this I have remodelled this numerous times cleanly and still receive that strange gradient/pull on the side.

The last 2 images baffle me because they have a single chamfer support around the inwards extrusion and yet the shading acts like I haven't supported this area (yet this works above - an area with almost identical topology, as shown in the first image).

I'm out of my depth now and thought it's best now to ask some professionals. If there's a gap in my knowledge of the technique I need to figure this out and move forward asap.

I appreciate any help going on the matter. Exhausted, taking on way too many roles, ha smile

Replies

• Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Will chamfer inside edges on the last 2 images for that issue. Thanks to Obscura for some assistance, much appreciated as always.

Normals on the side issue are as follows:

• Pharr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you select all the co-planar faces on that side and force the vertex normals to match those of the faces it should fix it. In Blender there's a button called "Set From Faces" that can help fix little one-off cases like this. Alternatively you could duplicate just those faces out as a separate object, set the shading to flat, and transfer the mesh normal data to the original object. I use Mesh Machine for Blender and it has some really great tools and workflows for doing this super quickly. Not sure if there's a similar addon for Max or Maya.
  • Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pharr said:
    If you select all the co-planar faces on that side and force the vertex normals to match those of the faces it should fix it. In Blender there's a button called "Set From Faces" that can help fix little one-off cases like this. Alternatively you could duplicate just those faces out as a separate object, set the shading to flat, and transfer the mesh normal data to the original object. I use Mesh Machine for Blender and it has some really great tools and workflows for doing this super quickly. Not sure if there's a similar addon for Max or Maya.
    Thanks for the input Pharr.

I've managed to fix the above issues with quite a bit of messing about but don't feel confident in the workflow personally.

Currently trying to figure out the best workflow approach here. I'm generally speaking trying to transition from Maya to Max. Now because I'm not as familiar with the modifier stack and what does what I'm applying automatic scripts in Maya and then manually snapping verts to be perpendicular where they haven't been adjusted properly by the automatic script. It's a little painful but seems doable.

Tried a couple of automatic scripts for Max which seem as effective as Maya but the manual adjustment is proving difficult thus far. Normal modifiers seem to allow for averaging norms but I just want the ability to set some norms to face (such as the side above to ensure it's flat shaded) or to move the norms manually myself and snap in directions.
  • scgstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scgstudio polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Ginsplosion.
    As far as I saw there are some topology issues.

adding chamfers in those places will stop the 'fight for normal' between neighboring faces. Each pointed edge has only two vertices.
    Every vertex on them has only one normal direction and at the same time four faces which share this normal.
    This scenario will always look bad. Only two faces can look good as one vertex normal can smooth only two surfaces on both sides of edge.
    To relax this light artifacts, you need add additional two vertices. So every corner will have 4 instead of 2 vertexes. This way, bigger polygons can have full vertex normal direction 'for them self' at the cost of smaller polygons. You will end up with light reflections artifacts but only on small faces which is totally fine :) Nobody will notice ;)
    You can adjust them by hand ( very brave ) or by using some vertex normal weighting scripts.

• Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scgstudio said:
    Hi Ginsplosion.
    As far as I saw there are some topology issues.

adding chamfers in those places will stop the 'fight for normal' between neighboring faces. Each pointed edge has only two vertices.
    Every vertex on them has only one normal direction and at the same time four faces which share this normal.
    This scenario will always look bad. Only two faces can look good as one vertex normal can smooth only two surfaces on both sides of edge.
    To relax this light artifacts, you need add additional two vertices. So every corner will have 4 instead of 2 vertexes. This way, bigger polygons can have full vertex normal direction 'for them self' at the cost of smaller polygons. You will end up with light reflections artifacts but only on small faces which is totally fine :) Nobody will notice ;)
    You can adjust them by hand ( very brave ) or by using some vertex normal weighting scripts.

Hi scgstudio, thanks for the reply.

I've since fixed the bevel and been progressing and finding new problems with the whole technique.

I have a  general understanding of face/vertex normals I just can't seem to put it all together properly right now. I've been using automatic and manual scripts on top (but this seems flawed in the latest 3DS Max 2019 - whenever I add an edit poly/symmetry or another manual edit normals modifer atop an automatic script it just simply breaks the shading. Also smoothing groups seem locked in an can't be changed after an automatic script modifier is applied. I've tested this time and again in different ways with the same results.

This is making the application of the technique a nightmare unfortunately. Another thing that's confusing me is the use of the automatic face weighted normal scripts. It seems that almost every normal that should be perpendicular tends not to be quite perpendicular so I have to go through and manually change every single one whether I use the copy and paste within the edit normal modifier or select a bunch of planar normals and hit average normals. This is a lot of cleanup and seems to defeat the point of using the automatic scripts that are available?

For reference the automatic scripts I have tried are:

- IFWNormalsFree
    - Max FWVN Script

Obscura recommneded a script that gets vert normals from face:

- GetVertNormalsFromFace_0_2

But this seems to completely ignore any use once I layer it on top of the automatic scripts (basically what I mentioned further up in this post).

Eager for an efficient and straight forward workflow. I don't mind some manual clean up but I'm spending way too long on the process currently. Is this just a case of the algorithms can only get so close due to software restrictions and we generally settle for only using the manual tweaks in areas that are completely incorrect and settle for the ones that aren't perfect but still look alright? Is that the trade off?
  • Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some results on a single mesh, but progress hasn't gotten much further as I've been battling Max breaking when I try to put things on top of automatic script generation (argh). They're generally quite smart and effective - 4th image just shows the basic single chamfers.

Essentially my understanding is perpendicular norms immediately before and after a chamfer/bevel (Maya background, brand new with Max) result in really tight and crisp rounded bevels.

For clarity I've separated the back wall, tops and bottoms into their own smoothing groups as this seemed best practice due to sharp/unimportant or not viewed areas (correct if I'm wrong):

• scgstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weighting normals is... weighting them, so during calculation, normal direction is based on angle between faces AND face size. The bigger face is, the more vertex normal is pointing towards normal of this face. But will NEVER be perpendicular due to weighting.
    Vertex normal direction is based on proportion between size of two or more faces and angle between them.
    This is how Maya normals works and most scripts in Max ( Max background, 'hates' Maya ).
    To workaround this, you need to 'force' or convince vertex normals to point in direction you want, not algorithm in program.
    In Max you have some sort of vertex normal 'hierarchy'.
    • Unspecified displayed as blue: These are the normals that the modifier derives from smoothing groups and initially assigns to the modified mesh vertices. 3ds Max calculates the direction of an unspecified normal based on the average facing of all polygons to which it belongs that are in its smoothing group.
    • Specified displayed as cyan: These are normals that are intended for use by particular corners of particular faces, without regard to smoothing groups. For instance, you might create a box, apply Edit Normals, select a group of normals at a particular vertex, and click Unify.
    • Explicit displayed as green: These are normals that are set to particular values. For instance, if you use the Move or Rotate command to change a normal from its default value, it has to be made explicit, so it won't be recomputed based on the face normals.
    In Max there are only few places where explicit normals get preserved: editable poly, editable and edit mesh and edit normals modifer.
    Applying any modifier able to reindex subobjects, will destroy all explicit normals:  edit_poly, face_extrude, chamfer, shell, slice just to name a few.
    Maybe you would try this ?:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vertex-normal-toolkit
    not free, but it makes vertex normal perfect perpendicular to faces and a LOT more.
    discussion about it is here:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/206583/vertex-normal-toolkit-for-3ds-max

• Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scgstudio said:
    Weighting normals is... weighting them, so during calculation, normal direction is based on angle between faces AND face size. The bigger face is, the more vertex normal is pointing towards normal of this face. But will NEVER be perpendicular due to weighting.
    Vertex normal direction is based on proportion between size of two or more faces and angle between them.
    This is how Maya normals works and most scripts in Max ( Max background, 'hates' Maya ).
    To workaround this, you need to 'force' or convince vertex normals to point in direction you want, not algorithm in program.
    In Max you have some sort of vertex normal 'hierarchy'.
    • Unspecified displayed as blue: These are the normals that the modifier derives from smoothing groups and initially assigns to the modified mesh vertices. 3ds Max calculates the direction of an unspecified normal based on the average facing of all polygons to which it belongs that are in its smoothing group.
    • Specified displayed as cyan: These are normals that are intended for use by particular corners of particular faces, without regard to smoothing groups. For instance, you might create a box, apply Edit Normals, select a group of normals at a particular vertex, and click Unify.
    • Explicit displayed as green: These are normals that are set to particular values. For instance, if you use the Move or Rotate command to change a normal from its default value, it has to be made explicit, so it won't be recomputed based on the face normals.
    In Max there are only few places where explicit normals get preserved: editable poly, editable and edit mesh and edit normals modifer.
    Applying any modifier able to reindex subobjects, will destroy all explicit normals:  edit_poly, face_extrude, chamfer, shell, slice just to name a few.
    Maybe you would try this ?:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vertex-normal-toolkit
    not free, but it makes vertex normal perfect perpendicular to faces and a LOT more.
    discussion about it is here:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/206583/vertex-normal-toolkit-for-3ds-max

Thanks for the clarity I appreciate it. Yeah so what you said makes sense as to why I felt like anything I did atop it destroys it. Essentially it just means finalise the mesh and don't try and make changes after you add in normal layers.

Just watching the videos, noted that you're the author - looks like magic tbh. Is it really as simple as pull in any mesh and voila. A lot of our geometry and assets for the game are likely to be more along the lines of AI/SC with maybe hints of Dead Space, sharper edged with neat/tight bevels catching highlights and not as retro as AI (less larger bevels). In short, the video I watched shows you applying superb normals to much more complex meshes than the majority of ours are likely to be. What are you applying to most examples, is it face weighted normals or just outright perfect perpendicular ones?

I've also had a look at your scene examples, pretty sweet - was hoping to see more single chamfer assets as per my specific workflow, just a tad cautious it may not work quite as I hope. Pretty much everything that allows on the silhouette is going to be a single chamfer in our workflow. Decals/trims covered etc just need to nail this aspect.
  • scgstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the clarity I appreciate it. (...)  What are you applying to most examples, is it face weighted normals or just outright perfect perpendicular ones?
    You are welcome :)
    If you are not using any 'fancy' algorithm, all faces are weighted. But this weighting is not calculated for entire object, just for the given layer.
    This way if your layer contains faces sharing the same normal direction they will become super flat. 

If you select green faces and add them to any layer, normals for those faces will be calculated as they were a separate object.
    To imitate this effect make a selection and detach them. If any 'patch' will contain faces pointing in different directions, normals will be calculated "maya way" for this patch.
    And yeah, the biggest disadvantage, changes made to mesh 'after' will destroy normals.
    After any change you can pick mesh again and regenerate them as layer setup is always preserved
    ( even if changes are drastic you do not loose layer setup, just new faces may be assigned to wrong layer or not assigned at all ) as long as you do not use edit or editable mesh. If you have to, use it on a non instantiated copy.
    P.S.
    If most of your assets will have flat surfaces, IFWN should be enough, even free version.
    Paid one should be enough if difference between chamfer and surface is hard to distinguish.
    With VNT, all is clear and predictable.
  • Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scgstudio said:
    Thanks for the clarity I appreciate it. (...)  What are you applying to most examples, is it face weighted normals or just outright perfect perpendicular ones?
    You are welcome :)
    If you are not using any 'fancy' algorithm, all faces are weighted. But this weighting is not calculated for entire object, just for the given layer.
    This way if your layer contains faces sharing the same normal direction they will become super flat. 

If you select green faces and add them to any layer, normals for those faces will be calculated as they were a separate object.
    To imitate this effect make a selection and detach them. If any 'patch' will contain faces pointing in different directions, normals will be calculated "maya way" for this patch.
    And yeah, the biggest disadvantage, changes made to mesh 'after' will destroy normals.
    After any change you can pick mesh again and regenerate them as layer setup is always preserved
    ( even if changes are drastic you do not loose layer setup, just new faces may be assigned to wrong layer or not assigned at all ) as long as you do not use edit or editable mesh. If you have to, use it on a non instantiated copy.
    Yeah I think I mostly grasp the fundamentals it's more just a case of applying this to Max. I'm taking on a lot of work/roles for our project and decided (probably a bad decision right now) to transition to Max a couple of days ago. In Maya generally speaking I used to just harden/soften edges with 'reasonable' results but then stumbled onto this workflow and then researched normals a bit more. From there I started manually copying and pasting normal axis to make them perpendicular (after a general automated script for face weighted normals). I found it easier than Max (likely just down to being unfamiliar with the software at this stage) but still clunky and a bit of a mess.

My above mesh was a case of  separate smoothing groups so my hard 90 degree edged back wall, tops and bottoms were separate and then - apply automatic script, manually tweak a lot of chamfer/bevel based norms to be perpendicular.

With your toolkit the mesh example shown in this thread would be effortless I assume to generate a face weighted equivalent (perhaps better) without manual adjustments and tweaking? It's this bit that concerns me, whilst I can fix a mesh I want to be certain it's correct without having to analyse each norm and I want it to be as quick as possible because I have so much to do it's ridiculous, don't we all. :neutral: 

If this is the case which it seems to be from what videos I've watched (got the car one on 4x speed currently) and the scene I've checked out. Really impressed.
  • scgstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With your toolkit the mesh example shown in this thread would be effortless I assume to generate a face weighted equivalent (perhaps better) without manual adjustments and tweaking?
    Simply put... as long as you mesh is as you want, normals will not require any manual tweaking. Guaranteed.
    If you will find anything which will cause you to do it manually, let me know. By e-mail preferably. Or here if you want a witness ;)
    I will do my best to help. For free of course :smile:
    If this is the case which it seems to be from what videos I've watched (got the car one on 4x speed currently) and the scene I've checked out.
    The 'inverted' nature of this toolkit is the more complex mesh is, the more impressive results you may achieve ;)
    You may expect no worse quality than on those examples in the scene you saw.
    This car you saw is a simple object in comparison to those where I work ;)
    Ginsplosion said:
     Really impressed.
    I'm glad you like it :)
  • Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scgstudio said:
    Simply put... as long as you mesh is as you want, normals will not require any manual tweaking. Guaranteed.
    If you will find anything which will cause you to do it manually, let me know. By e-mail preferably. Or here if you want a witness ;)
    I will do my best to help. For free of course :smile: 

Ha, it must be hard to be active and helpful in threads similar to mine and not be biased towards your product.  I'll test the theory ;)!

Did you add the P.S. after my last response, I swear I didn't see it:

scgstudio said:

If most of your assets will have flat surfaces, IFWN should be enough, even free version.
    Paid one should be enough if difference between chamfer and surface is hard to distinguish.
    With VNT, all is clear and predictable.

Alright I've tried the free IFWN and generally speaking it's great, but the cleanup I had to do manually. Perhaps it's a misunderstanding of whether I should have assigned proper smoothing group separation first (Which I attempted to do) or whether to detach aspects of the model and such.

Generally the results for this were sweet but I still wished it just made things perpendicular around chamfers so it took a while cleaning this up. Curious what's the difference between the free and paid?

Regardless of whether IFWN will suit my intent and purposes/workflow or not I'm genuinely intrigued by VNT and like the idea of having a handy toolkit there. I noticed in the thread the only real constructive criticism you had was that it's a tad destructive which I generally try to avoid but nonetheless I'm still very tempted to grab this if it eliminates a major step in my workflow and overall pipeline then I'll likely buy VNT.

Ultimately I still feel a little uncertain with the whole thing (I feel the Max transition didn't help matters but nonetheless) this is massively down to an experience in Max thing.

I really do appreciate the comments though as I do anyone, I appreciate the lack of time most people have. In my instance I'm working on a game project (with intent to demo and pitch in the next year), working on several packs for the Epic Marketplace and will soon have a 9-5 industry related job to balance with, eek!
  • scgstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Busy person ;)
    Alright I've tried the free IFWN (...) Curious what's the difference between the free and paid?
    I bought IFWN. The difference between paid and free one is paid version has adjustable threshold from which faces are considered as flat. Helps detect chamfers. 

My whole point is not to advertise VNT, it is just another tool with its own pros and cons.
    It solves a lot of lightning artifacts and mid poly meshes ( well, maybe all ?? ) but it brings other problems like collapsed stack.
    And as you said, you are new to Max, so it is good to know what you can expect and why.
    It helps a lot later on, saves some ( not all ;) ) frustrations and disappointments. 
    Indeed, destructive nature of this tool may be an issue but all comes to priorities.
    For me personally, all modifier stack is essential ( probably I will never switch to other program because of that ) but only to a level when
    I'm fully satisfied with the result. And according to Max nature, normals last.
    Good luck ! :)

• Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scgstudio said:
    Good luck ! :)
    Thanks.

Last question - mesh projection (Because I can only see what's going on in the videos) how exactly is this executed? Say for my purposes of face weighting. Is mesh projection a part of that and does your kit generate these meshes itself somehow or do we have to prepare those meshes ourselves?

Cheers!
  • scgstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last question - mesh projection (Because I can only see what's going on in the videos) how exactly is this executed? Say for my purposes of face weighting. Is mesh projection a part of that and does your kit generate these meshes itself somehow or do we have to prepare those meshes ourselves?

Cheers!
    If it comes to super super super flat result regardless of topology, you can use projection from flat plane gizmo.
    Projection is usefull only when mesh shape is very uneven and unpredictable in terms of topology.
    Two options: you make it by yourself or you can recreate it from projection gizmo as starting point.
    When gizmo is active, right click on gizmo icon and a new object will be created in the scene.
    This is a new addon since v1.20, not shown in any video at the moment.
    You do not need nothing super fancy. more important is to keep it equal in terms of topology density.
    Actually everything is presented and explained on loooong video.

P.S.
    Ha, it must be hard to be active and helpful in threads similar to mine and not be biased towards your product.  I'll test the theory ;)!
    It is easier when you stop thinking your solution will save the world ;)
    Try to use noors normal thief:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/noors-normal-thief
  • Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scgstudio said:

Cheers!
    If it comes to super super super flat result regardless of topology, you can use projection from flat plane gizmo.
    Projection is usefull only when mesh shape is very uneven and unpredictable in terms of topology.
    Two options: you make it by yourself or you can recreate it from projection gizmo as starting point.
    When gizmo is active, right click on gizmo icon and a new object will be created in the scene.
    This is a new addon since v1.20, not shown in any video at the moment.
    You do not need nothing super fancy. more important is to keep it equal in terms of topology density.
    Actually everything is presented and explained on loooong video.

P.S.
    It is easier when you stop thinking your solution will save the world ;)
    Try to use noors normal thief:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/noors-normal-thief
    Ha I mean you've created something that a lot of people have issues with so I see the appeal and why you feel proud of what you've made. Why wouldn't you?

Okay no worries so in the case of the mesh in this thread that wouldn't suffice with a plane I'd have to make a projected mesh to get a set of normals or is this just another method atop others? Basically just making sure this doesn't add another issue for me personally in making custom meshes for all of my assets. Thanks again!

P.S. I'm heading out shortly but I'll watch the video later this evening and pay attention to the different uses.
  • scgstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha I mean you've created something that a lot of people have issues with so I see the appeal and why you feel proud of what you've made. Why wouldn't you?
    Well... what can I say ? ;) I'm happy because I was afraid that every one who bought VNT will want a refund.
    To this moment nobody :) So that is a good sign this script indeed has a real value to the people. And they not regret.
    Okay no worries so in the case of the mesh in this thread that wouldn't suffice with a plane I'd have to make a projected mesh to get a set of normals or is this just another method atop others? Basically just making sure this doesn't add another issue for me personally in making custom meshes for all of my assets. 
    Projection from another object is last possible option when no other will give satisfactory end result.
    Weighting based on topology is good enough when mesh is relatively simple and has predictable shape.
    Projecting from gizmo is another step when topology is not so clean or has thin ald long triangles and at the same time polygons are not aligned. This method bypasses all topology, set normal directions based entirely on gizmo shape, size and position.
    As a good example lets take a car wheel. All normals calculated without projection from other mesh.
    The same both balls, shields...
    Last thing. If it is not a problem, please send this mesh to me, I will prepare a calculated version and then you will have something to compare.
    P.S. I'm heading out shortly but I'll watch the video later this evening and pay attention to the different uses.
    I think it is a good idea to watch looong video. Not entire, in the description there are some shortcuts to see what's the most interesting.
    It is boring unless you are about to know how normals work in Max and how you can bend them to your needs.
  • Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, sold - bought a standard license, looking forward to giving it a whirl tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have questions but whilst I test it out I'll try and get through the longer video. I really don't mind I personally think you can never watch enough, I learn a lot from hour long videos on various topics sometimes (Specially the Epic ones).

I'll send you the mesh regardless before I start and you can give me a quick pointer/example of how you'd generally make it work for that model if that's alright?

Thanks for all the support and swift responses. Fingers crossed for some great results.

- Wayne
  • scgstudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright.
    BIG thanks for your trust and support ! :)
    I will do my best to not disappoint you, promise :)
    If you have anything which bothers you, send.
    Best through an e-mail.

• Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers will do, i'll get in touch tomorrow with the asset. I'm sure I'll have a few misunderstandings or questions whilst I push our face weighted assets forward etc.

No worries, tool looks superb.
  • Ginsplosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved discussion to email to avoid padding out this thread needlessly. Thanks to everyone who gave their input, much appreciated.