Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Forklift Star Citizen and advice about game asset

Hello Polycount;

As a new member I come here to collect advice and expand my knowledge in creating game asset. I’m in second year of 3D infographic at ARIES in France. I recently published on Artstation a Forklift Fan Art of the game Star Citizen which here is a preview:

more on my Artstation 

I would like to create a new asset in the same style but with a personal concept that will be my PFA (end of year project).

Before I have a few questions about the constraints of creating video game assets. And if I may, I’d like to discuss about it with you.

For my low poly version I bevel some smooth edges because I was afraid that the model once baked was of poor quality. 

Like that :

• Is this a good way to work or could I just not have bevel to optimize the mesh even more ?

All the texture of my Forklift is on a 4k texture. I felt like it was a little fair.

• I should have made UDIM’s ?  How much for an asset like this? Is this well taken into account in Marmoset and in game engines such as Unity or Unreal Engine?

If I haven’t been clear enough in my questions, please let me know.

Thank you in advance to those who will take the time to answer these questions.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Neat model!

Looks like everything is laid out uniquely in UV space. This allows you to add unique detail all over the model, but it also requires an extremely high-resolution texture. 

I suggest learning how to reuse UVs. Use symmetry, duplication, etc. This is a mostly symmetrical prop. Use that to your advantage, because two sides are never seen at the same time. Only make the text decals unique. And maybe some things in the middle of the symmetry, to avoid the butterfly/rorshach effect.
  • mael_b
    Ok, thanks you for your advices @Eric Chadwick !