Home Technical Talk

fan speed seems too high on new system

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
so yeah got a new pooter and its fairly powerful , gigabyte z390 UD motherboard, NVIDIA RTX 2070 vid card, 64 gb RAM
so when i render 'anything' (even a box)  the fans go beserk, i mean they don't even wait for the temp to increase, it's just instant speed increase to fairly high RPM
It bugs me a bit as my case is on my desk next to me and its flipping loud. All the fans in the BIOS are set to silent mode.
I tried messing with the smart 5 fan controls, but it seems to make no difference

not sure if its the cpu fan or the vid card fan, but it does n't seem right to me. any suggestions?

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    You can install and configure an app like Speedfan to control the fan speed based on CPU  temp. My wife's PC had an issue where the fan was either super quiet or super loud, no inbetween. I used a youtube video as a guide to set it up and it worked like a charm. Only loud over heavy load, and the temp never got too hot.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If adjusting the fan speeds in bios or software doesn't resolve it, you probably either have some fans that aren't hooked up to that system or you've just got some cheap fans that should be replaced.

A quick way to isolate this is to put your finger on the center cylindrical shape of the fan to stop it, keep it there for just a few seconds and then let it spin back up. Do this until you figure out which one is loud and replace it. If it's not coming from any of the easy accessed fans it could be from the power supply. 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    monster, i installed that already , which helped me figure out a few things, cheers
    EQ good suggestions on putting your finger on the fan, never thought of that, but I did identify two of the fans already ie cpu fan and vicdeo card, which i have adjusted. also I set the smaller case fan to full speed

so yeah i managed to fix it a bit in the bios, so it kicks in at a higher temperature, but not enough so the cpu gets too hot. For example in 3ds  max , a render would instantly increase the temp from around 30 degrees to about 80, with fan ramping up to full speed. now I have it so it gets to about 65 and the fan is not 'too' noisy but still noticeable. The render only uses 88 percent of the cpu now , so thats a bit weird.
    Maybe I should not have gone for the liquid cooling and just stuck with a good heatsink solution. its  the fan that is attached to the cooling system which is ramping up to nearly full speed, the video card fan and extra case fans are fine

Its really only rendering that causes this problem, playing ,maxed out video games barely changed the cpu temp and the fans stay fairly quiet

EDIT, the cpu temp is till creeping up to 85 degrees then dropping back to 20 to 30 the second the render is finished . is this normal?

speed fan lists core 0, 1 and 2  temps at 20, 21 and 20 at rest then 80, 74 and 85 under load which seems rather high to me
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be aware that increasing load on a motor increases the current so putting your finger on the fan will briefly increase the current draw.

A smaller fan runs at a higher RPM than a larger fan to push the same amount of air.  You may want to use a larger fan, assuming you can find one that fits over your heatsink, which you can run at a lower RPM.  This might move it out of the frequency range that you find annoying.  Low rumble vs high pitched squeal. 

You may have airflow issues in general if your CPU is getting that hot.  Clean out all the dust, move the case to an open area if it is jammed in a corner, check your case fans, etc.  It could also be something like a bad contact with the heatsink or something similar.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    my last system was like that, supposedly it was even noiseproofed but had the stock intel CPU cooler which was simply rather noisy on its own. for the current machine I therefore went with one of those massive noctua coolers. problem solved. fan speed never seems to change either, even if the machine is busy rendering through a summer night.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well the fans on the id- cooler  are pretty massive9 tme anyway), so that should not be a problem?
    default temp of the cpu is around 17-20 C at the moment, but I am just worried that the cooler is not working properly hence the massive temp increase to 80-85 C when rendering

i will contact the dealer tomorrow as I can't work in a wind tunnel:)

EDIT

Well i am gobsmacked in that it turned out to be windows 10 power management settings. I will go in to more details if anyone wants it, but I set the processor cooling policy from passive to active
    and now the cpu temp hardly goes above 38 C Also the fan speed hardly budges

i will probably tweak the bios a little more, then I can forget about it ( for now)

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    narrowed it down some more and setting 'maximum processor state' to 99 percent fixed it totally. somehting to do with disablling turbo boost which i know nothing about
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Ruz said:
    Well i am gobsmacked in that it turned out to be windows 10 power management settings. I will go in to more details if anyone wants it, but I set the processor cooling policy from passive to active
    and now the cpu temp hardly goes above 38 C Also the fan speed hardly budges
    It's very strange that the policy was set to passive by default, usually passive results in a quieter but slower PC. This is something you might use for a power saving mode for a laptop, but for a desktop?!
    I never setup a liquid cooling system, maybe that's why. Are the radiator fans connected to the standard CPU fan connector on the MB?

If you set "maximum processor state" lower than 100% you are basically underclocking and prevent your CPU from running at full capacity, a bit of waste imho. Which CPU do you have?

Fan noise level generally depends on fan speed, fan quality, fan quantity, fan mount and the case itself.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well its an i9-9990k with a base speed of 3.6 GHz  - when I set the maximum  processor rate to 99 percent, it goes to about 3.43 GHZ, but if I turn it back to a 100 it goes to 4.68 GHZ immediately. so it must be intel turbo boost causing the problem
    there are no settings in my my bios for this , so this fix will have to do, still works more than adequate for my needs

i don't really want to overclock ever time I render. I wish there was a way to turn off turbo boost in the bios, then i could set it back to a 100
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    That would be i9-9900K I guess. 
    Using turbo should be causing no issue at all, that's not overclocking, temp should be around 70 degree under load.

Usually you can switch Turbo off in the BIOS or change the multiplier, to go up to 4GHz only for example.

What is the idle frequency when setting it to 100%, 4.68GHz as well?
    If so, check the "minimum processor state" setting as well.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeas i9-9900K, my bad( that would very powerful with an extra 9l)

well intel turboboost kind of an official overclocking of the base speed from what I was reading elsewhere and as i mentioned it does go up to 4.68 GHz at 100 percent with turboboost on.( then back down to 3.6 Ghz as its idle)
    BUIT  the fans go beserk trying to keep the temp down, but still gets up to almost 90 C when it goes up to 4.68 GHz

i really want to keep the fan speed low because the noise bugs the hell out of me so i might turn the fan speed down even more, even if the temps go up from around 45 when rendering to about 50 or 60, it's just getting the balance right

turboboost was i the bios settings so i just turned it off and set the  maximum  processor rate back to 100 percent

GPU temp is fine - goes up to about 56 when playing just cause 3 maxed out

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I think 90 degrees is just way too high. 60 degree without turbo sounds very high too.
    It should really be possible to have this setup running with at proper temperature and noise level at max speed, especially with liquid cooling.
    Recommend you get the system (mainly cooling parts) checked again at the store.

You can lower the "minimum process state" to go below 3.6Ghz while idle.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i am sure it could be tweaked a bit better by an expert, but is ok for now, does what i wnat it to do on the whole.
    i will probabyl contact the manufacturer though, it should not have needed all this faffing around tbh
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The 9900K is known to run very hot, so I'm not surprised by those temps. That CPU requires a very good cooler to stay at a decent temp.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    PolyHertz said:
    The 9900K is known to run very hot, so I'm not surprised by those temps. That CPU requires a very good cooler to stay at a decent temp.
    I was curious about the temp of that one and just checked it, you are right.
    Sorry @Ruz  for the misinformation. 

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
     cheers for the info PolyHertz
    Prime8 - no worries I am relatively happy with it now anyway.

EDIT mm going back to the shop, they reckon it might need a bigger case, different cooling. what a pain
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    maybe you applied thermal paste poorly or didnt screw it down tight enough, try that first
    Which cpu cooler do you have?

Also on a 9900k I would go with a all-in-one watercooling solution
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    If it's turbo boosting up to 4,68GHz on all cores, having a temperature at almost 90C isn't anything unusual even with a water cooler. Just alter the turbo speeds to something lower and you'll be fine.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Shrike, it was n't me who applied thermal paste, it was custom built. I found water cooling  sucks a bit and have opted for a large air cooler instead

Tekoppar - but the turbo kicks in anyway, so even if you set the base speed to about 1000 rpm, it automatically spins up to about 2000 rpm for both fans and its just too noisy. amyway sent it back to the factory :)

so yeah back on my quad core for a while untill the new one comes back
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't be surprised if Intel's turbo boost enables it's own fan speed for the CPU fan just to ensure that nothing bad happens. Since it's turned on by default I believe, it wouldn't be smart if users could then alter the fan speed when it's turbo boosting.

I don't know what water cooler you had, but I would've gone with the Corsair Hydro H115i PRO if you wanted to water cool the i9-9900k, if you want to air cool it I'm hoping you're getting a Noctua NH-D15.

I've personally got the Noctua in my own build on a Ryzen 7 2700x and it's nearly silent at full speed, you can't hear it over the other fans. When I max it out with AMD's equivalent of turbo it sits around at 61C and that is with a case that has bad airflow and with the heat sink clogged with dust that I need to clean out sometime.

But if you're just looking for a silent computer, you'll probably want a decent case with some decent fans in it. Because even if you buy a good air cooler it's not gonna matter much if the air flow is bad.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah the company is currently reconfiguring my new pc. hope they put it in a bigger case this time, the other one was tiny
    so yeah the cooler I had in was this one

mine had 2 fans on,though- really damn noisy

my new cooler is :

be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1, Single Tower CPU Cooler, 6 Heatpipes, 1x120mm PWM

not exactly top range but hopefully adequate

my older i7 pc is quiet as a mouse, even when rendering, i want it to be like that:/

currently using a core 2 quad with 8Gb ram. man its slow, has a crappy nvidia 710 in it. i can just about zbrush a head, but pretty messed up
    I have had this for quite a few years now, just about good for browsing. ,my missus has my i7 now:)

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Dude thats a 130W cooler, that thing is tiny. Clearly that is not fit for a 9900k. 
    No, The new one is too small too and just 180W. If you go Air cooling you need a Dark Rock Pro with 250 or something like that, that is absolutely not fit. 

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Ruz said:
    yeah the company is currently reconfiguring my new pc. hope they put it in a bigger case this time, the other one was tiny
    so yeah the cooler I had in was this one

mine had 2 fans on,though- really damn noisy

my new cooler is :

be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1, Single Tower CPU Cooler, 6 Heatpipes, 1x120mm PWM

not exactly top range but hopefully adequate

my older i7 pc is quiet as a mouse, even when rendering, i want it to be like that:/

currently using a core 2 quad with 8Gb ram. man its slow, has a crappy nvidia 710 in it. i can just about zbrush a head, but pretty messed up
    I have had this for quite a few years now, just about good for browsing. ,my missus has my i7 now:)

That is not a liquid cooling system, did they sell it as such?
    I use be quiet! case and fans, very happy with it, but I have a much weaker CPU, you probably need liquid for that beast, or just get a weaker CPU which runs at manageable temperatures :D  
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well it has liquid in it:) - had reasonable reviews apart from the noise

the replacement air cooler is hopefully ok, they are currently testing the system

hey I could just carry on using my quad core, great for low poly modelling:)
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Ruz said:
    well it has liquid in it:) - had reasonable reviews apart from the noise

the replacement air cooler is hopefully ok, they are currently testing the system

hey I could just carry on using my quad core, great for low poly modelling:)
    Now you got me confused, this is completely different from the one tested in the previous link?!
    In any case, good luck with your new machine. 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah my bad Prime8, but notwithstanding I would not recommend the id cooler. getting my new machine back tomorrow, cool

EDIT , so got the new machine back ,everyhting seemd fine, then  I noticed noise coming from the rear case fan( kind of a bearing sound).
    so i replaced that with an older one, so I though that was it, noise was gone

BUT today I was zbrushing and noticed that when i rotate the model either with the tablet or the mouse , there is a weird electrical sound, like a buzzing while I am doing any task. it seems to be coming form the PSU . i mean surely it can not be on the way out already., its brand new!!!

Any suggestions on this. tempted just to send it back and get a refund
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Ruz said:
    BUT today I was zbrushing and noticed that when i rotate the model either with the tablet or the mouse , there is a weird electrical sound, like a buzzing while I am doing any task. it seems to be coming form the PSU . i mean surely it can not be on the way out already., its brand new!!!

Any suggestions on this. tempted just to send it back and get a refund
    Possibly coil whine, but it is hard to troubleshoot so i don't really have any suggestions.