Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Yikai Jason

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
YiKai polycounter lvl 5
OK, I decide to start posting my learning update here. :) I used post my work on the 2D forum but since now I moving more into 3D. I want to start my sketchbook here. Hope you will enjoy the work and I'll continue to update here.
(If you want to check out my old 2D post, you can have a look here )

After hitting on so many walls, googling and learning, this is my final render, after 2 weeks this 7487 polygons (Without cable cod) Military Radio is completed with NRM, AO, Roughness, metallic and Emissive map, render in Marmoset. 
As a 3D beginner I struggled the most at cleaning UVs, understanding the tools and 3D topology, it takes a lot of trial and error for me finish this project. 
Big thanks for Simon Fuchs for taking his time. This learning is super challenging for beginner like me but rewarding and helps me heaps to kickstart and improve. Check out his super awesome online tutorial, looking forward to learn more from you and can't wait to start my next 3D model.

My Instagram 
My Artstation

Replies

• IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Nice work, really well executed!
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
  • jonasbauer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really love this,
    I actually set myself the same goal about 3 weeks ago and also did the military radio tutorial, will definitely follow your progress to motivate myself
    keep it up :smile:
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    @jonasbauer Thx! Lets stay motivate and try to climb this mountain as hard as we can! I will post my update more often here and feel free to give me any feedback or ask me and question too. 
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5

Update Feb&Mar - I had join an ArtStation challenge (the NIVIDA Metropia 2042) I had never build a large city before and so I want to give it a try. It took me around 38 days to complete this challenge and had learn so much about modular buildings like how to reuse textures, mesh, but also how to setup lighting, fog and rendering.

My idea is simply try to create a Solar Roofed Street in the middle of the city, where it can provide a cover from the sun & heat. Since I believe the temperature will slowly rise in the future, this Solar Roof will able to provide shelter for citizen to continue shopping on the street. Aesthetically I shape the Solar Roof as an abstract dragon lay between buildings and stare to the sea horizon.  

Also I create a yellow flood barrier along the shore since I also believe sea level will rise in 2042. This flood barrier can provide a seaside walk path during good weather, and protection during flood or typhoon.

Lastly I intend to only modernize some part of the city and keep remaining buildings old. Because I want to hopefully capture a nice transition between modern buildings to more advance architecture.  

These are my final 2 images and I hope you will enjoy it.

My ArtStation post here

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOgPOx

Many Thanks for those who support me during the challenge. It was super fun and I learn heaps during the process!

Cheers.

• YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    I had been learning NDo, and some modular texture technique (Trims, Decals, Stickers) Not sure if this method are still commonly use, but yea I created a medical hallway scene using only one set of Texture. The process are also very simple and fast, it is a good way to quickly put lots of detail into the scene but the same time keep it very low poly. 
    Thank you for the online tutorial by Thiago Klafke and Sergey Tyapkin, it helps me to understand how to create an environment in an effective modular way.

• YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    I'm starting a personal modular environment project, and going to update here weekly to show my progress. Feel free to give me any suggestion! I'm open to any feedback. :)
    Here is some rough sketch/ photobash of the scene. It is located on the second floor of a traditional Hong Kong Style Cafe/Restaurant. This restaurant belong to a triads called "Sun Yee On 新義安". They use this hidden for their meeting and drug business.  (I will change the Triads name to Sun On Yee 新安義, just like Sleeping Dog. ) Sun On Yee Triads just finished planning their revenge to another Triads called "14K". Cigarette, Alcohol and some weapons are still left in the scene. This place is dark and hidden on purpose to mimic a closed HK restaurant’s second floor, so no cops or other Triads can find this place easily.  

It is set at the around mid 70s - early 80s, where Hong Kong gangs are very common in city, there are around 60 triad gangs. Drug, Robbery, Prostitution, Disco and Human trafficking are their way to earn incomes.  

My colour Palette will be mainly Green and Red. Inspire by cinematographer Christopher Doyle unique style. I aim to capture the gloomy secretive mood of this space, which often can be found in Hong Kong dark corners. 
    My Pinterest Reference board: <a href="https://www.pinterest.com.au/cheungyikai/restaurant-hideouts/" title="Link: https://www.pinterest.com.au/cheungyikai/restaurant-hideouts/">https://www.pinterest.com.au/cheungyikai/restaurant-hideouts/</a>
    Pinterest Color board: ​<a href="​https://pin.it/inqlhon4iykol7 ">https://pin.it/inqlhon4iykol7&nbsp;</a>

And here are my quick blockout meshes

• YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    Progress Update.
    Finished block out the scene and imported all modular pieces into Unreal. I think the scale looks right and have some interesting focal points in the scene. Make sure everything snap correctly and light blocker is set up too. Will the update coming! 

• YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    Progress Update
    I had slowly adding tileable texture and making trim sheet.

• YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    Progress update 4:
    This week I continue to create high poly model then bake them into low poly model by Substance. Below are some of the props I made. I also spend some time on tweaking the tileable texture and my blockout.

• YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    Progress Update 5:
    This week I didn't make enough progress, there are still a lot of mesh need to be UV and textured. Anyway I had export all textures with the RMA method. Fixed the random substance metalness problem. Added a few more mesh (Like pipes, tables and ceiling light) and that is it. 

• YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    Progress Update 6:
    I had added some fog and cubemap. I had also textured a few more model (Like the menu, beer, sofa, small props etc) I also try out some vertex painting. 

• bed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bed polycounter lvl 4
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    bed said:
    Nice work!
    Thanks bed. 
  • YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    Progress Update 7:
    I had play around with the lighting to make it more atmospheric. Also I started to add decals on walls, added some spline cables on the floor and police line to create more story drama into the scene.

• YiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YiKai polycounter lvl 5
    [Finished] UE4 - CGMA Modular Environment

This my CGMA 10 weeks Modular environment build in the Unreal Engine is finally completed. I decided to make a scene combining the back story of "Detroit : Become Human" with an urban Hong Kong theme. 
    I created everything in this scene myself except for the particle effects which i applied from the UE Elemental Demo scene. I created my own materials using Substance Designer and Textures using Substance Painter. My modular assets were made in Maya and I used Trim Sheet to create my modular pieces. What do you think? :)

I'd like to say a Big thanks to Clinton Crumpler for teaching me and giving me useful feedback during the CGMA course. 
    Also thank you to all my CGMA classmates and the DiNusty discord group who learned and shared together!

Here is my Artstation for more images: 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GXV5GB