Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Marble Hall - Need some advice for scene workflow

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Mahelix polycounter lvl 6
Hello there,
Not so long ago I decided to model a scene using as many modular assets as possible in order to impove my skills as an environment artist.

I decided to take the Terme Tommasini as a reference, since it seems to be made of elements that can easily be repeated :

The problem is, as I go further and further in the project, that it feels like I am taking things in the wrong order.
Since I've always been more focused on creating unique objects with their own unique texture until now, switching to creating a whole environment requires a workflow that I'm not well used to.

So, here is what I did so far, in that order :

1) Did a breakdown of the different elements in the pictures and looked what parts of the ground seemed to repeat so that I could break it into smaller modular tiles:

2) Took quick proportions compared to a human being to get some measurements

3) After that, I opened up UE4 and started making the BSP blockout

4) Once the proportions were correct and everything seemed to click in place, I replaced every BSP with a 3D model.
At first, I didn't bother with the UV unwrapping yet as I was focusing more on wether the meshes had the right proportions.
It's only after every mesh was in place that I decided to create the materials, starting with the marble for the floor and the slabs on each extremity of the pillars, and I unwrapped the UV for the tiles on the floor.

At this point I figured that I would use a trimsheet for the pillars and the ceiling as they have the same "wave" pattern, but I just don't know yet if the doors and the windows should be in a trimsheet as well or if they should have their own texture.

So here it is so far for my project. I haven't touched the lighting yet as I thought this should be in the final steps of the project just before the post-processing settings and I'm still trying to figure out which asset should be in a trimsheet and which one should have their own baking.

Any feedback and advice is more than welcome, and feel free to share your own workflow for 3D environments and point out which steps I might have neglected and/or done in the wrong order.

Cheers !