Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel Feedback

DavidQ
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DavidQ node
https://vimeo.com/313933290
This is my very first time putting together an Animation Demo Reel.
I know it probably needs more work, but it's a start for now.
Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated  :)

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    You definitely lead with your strongest piece which is good. The box push has some good parts and some areas where the weight could be pushed. If you upload this to syncsketch we could give more specific notes. I would cut the dog and the female run cycles as they don't match the quality of the pieces. It's nice to see a cycle and a quadroped, but not if they don't hold the quality bar up to the rest of your work. The diving summersault has some good posing, but the timing/spacing feels a bit off in places. It definitely is worth pushing further, especially by fixing the settle to idle at the end. The walking poo is OK but doesn't show off a lot. Once you get more work that displays body mechanics, acting, etc, I imagine you'll want to cut it.

Overall this is a great first demo reel. You've avoided lots of the basic mistakes such as not filling the frame, awkward cuts etc. The focus is on the animation as it should be. Keep up the good work!
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    I think @tholmes3d hit everything that needs to be said. The opening shot is definitely your strongest and if I was to guess I assume your most recent? 

The female walk and dog walk cycle in my opinion also need to be cut, they hinder what is a super solid first demo reel (Much better than my first reel ever was!) 

Don't rush to find work to fill the gap it would create by cutting that work. I would maybe do more pieces with that crocodile rig, you got some super awesome animation from it.
  • Navigator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Navigator polycounter lvl 6
    The dog walking has a horrible glitch in his step, as if he is injured. The female run cycle is very off as well. You need to revisit both of these cycles and adjust the timing on these. The Sword swing and idle are good as is the box push. Overall its not bad. It's obvious you have some animating skills.
  • BrandonBerryCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrandonBerryCG polycounter lvl 6

I hate to be an echo, but I agree with everyone else. The first two are good. Be careful of the feet movement when pushing the box. The foot plants and lifts can be refined further. Some of the movement seems linear when the right foot is in the air as well. You could also add some movement into the hands, as they are being stressed by the force of the push.

The dog walk I would cut or fix the popping. Honestly, I would just give another fresh crack at it, you probably learned a lot from it. The summersault guy could use a little refining, primarily with the sudden drop in speed on the land. I feel he needs to take an additional step forward to slow down enough.

The girl running could use some work or cut as well. Careful of the speed of the arms on this one.

Like tholmes3d said, the poo is ok. Doesn't add too much but its not bad.

Great work though! Keep pushing!

(Edited to fix some mistakes. My break was ending and I really rushed this response out. It's kind of embarrassing!) 

• DavidQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidQ node
    I appreciate all the awesome feedback!
    A lot of good points where made and I will definitely go forth with all of your suggestions.