Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - How to Bake High Poly to Low Poly

anthonybp
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
anthonybp node
Hello Polycount,

I'm working on a game asset for my portfolio. I did my low poly model (about 4.000 triangles) and I added details in ZBrush, from my low poly model. I want to bake my high poly model into my low poly normal map using Substance Painter. Here's the result :

That's the result from the bake in Substance Painter. I added a bit of usage/bevels to the edges in ZBrush. I though it would be better since it's a game asset and adding bevels in the low poly model doubles the triangle count, but it seems there's a limit at what I though would be the best.

That's the normal+height+mesh map from Substance Painter. We can clearly see there's something wrong.

That's my model in ZBrush.

And that's my low poly model made in Autodesk Maya.

So, my question is fairly simple, is there a way to avoid these artifacts ?

I tried to bake my maps using xNormal, but I barely know this software, so it's really confusing and the results are worst.

Thank you

Anthony

Replies

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Since you want it for your portfoilio i think that would be the best to go for a better result and bevel it like you said, you could try to add some vert at the tips and tweek it manually but it will look meh too. 

Those angles are always a problem with normal map, the guy talks a bit about them in this tutorial, first page: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nNXyK

• anthonybp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anthonybp node
    Udjani said:
    Since you want it for your portfoilio i think that would be the best to go for a better result and bevel it like you said, you could try to add some vert at the tips and tweek it manually but it will look meh too. 

Those angles are always a problem with normal map, the guy talks a bit about them in this tutorial, first page: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nNXyK

Thanks for the reference !

About my problem, that's exactly what I did. I just add some bevel on my low poly mesh. I though 4.000 triangle was the perfect poly count, but I did my research and it seems that nowadays we can go up to 20.000 triangles for a single weapon without problem. So I added some bevels and now I'm at 12.000 triangles, which is still fine and gives a much better result :)